Introducing my girls.....Questions?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dahlas

Well I have been putting Piper in the big cage with Sydney, after doing many bathtub get togethers that where totally uneventful.....we had a couple play sessions on the couch and on me....in my sweater racing around ( I was a bit nervous of that one but they both wanted in soooo)
So everything was going good...Sydney was being a bit antisocial......if Piper crawled in the hammock with her ,Sydney would get out.... after a bit of grooming and once Syd flipped Piper over but didn't seem to hurt her........so they where sleeping in separate beds
Piper again went and crawled in the bed with Sydney and Syd grabbed her....scuffled a bit and made her squeak.....Piper went totally still. Sydney again left and went somewhere else. I took Piper out and gave us all a break....so do you guys think I should just keeping putting Piper in with Sydney for the afternoon and evening while I am home and taking them out for plays together or should I just leave them in together and let them work it out?....I don't want Piper to be hurt of course.....but I do want them to live together.......
I feel like I would like to just continue putting them in and separating them at night....for my own piece of mind but wasn't sure what would be best for them...

As long as they are not fighting (not scuffles but big fights) I think you should leave them together that way they can get to know each other fast and better. I know that in doing intros they just have to sort things out first. It's all a new experience and Sydney might just feel like Piper is a stranger still right now and not sure if she wants to let her in the bed with her. She also wants to make sure Piper knows who's boss. That would have been the scuffle and the squeek.

Mine had to scuffles when I put them together but nothing has come of it and the day after they were sleeping together.

It sounds like Sydney is just asserting her dominance.
Sounds normal to me.
As long as there is no serious fighting, no one is bleeding.

Are you putting Piper into Sydney's cage? If you are, Sydney is showing remarkable restraint.

If they are doing ok after several times in non neutral territory such as their play area, you might want to have them live together.

When you put rats together in the same cage, it is a good idea to wash it well, and change things around so that it isn't anyone's territory. Then you add rats (who have gone through intro steps as yours have), and keep an eye on them for the next 12 hours or more ... in the room with the tv is a good spot lol

I agree with SQ, if you are putting the new one in the current resident's cage, then I'd say Sydney is being very good.
What I would recommend that you completely scrub down the cage and change all the linen and then leave the two girls together. Don't take Piper out, unless of course Sydney decides to hurt Piper but I doubt that will happen because she's already being a good girl.

Thank you guys.......yes I was putting Piper in Sydney's cage...It has been all scrubbed and has lots of new toys that I just added.......It is actually a new cage to Sydney but she has had it to herself for a few days........
She is being very good. But poor little Piper is like an eager little puppy wanting to be friends and cuddle. It is so sad to watch Sydney snub her......
I will clean everything out good tomorrow, rearrange and add some new things and then let them hang out together....they have been together up to 8 hrs one day with only two little scuffles.
One squeak on Pipers part..........
The cage is right here in the living room with us so it isn't hard to keep an eye on them........I will let you know how it goes....
Thanks again........I am again being an overly anxious momma

Intros are really scary, I know! But it sounds like it's going really well - my little girl's first day in the group cage had a few more squeaks and scuffles than that. :)

*shudders* Mine's coming up soon.

This time Fidget won't get to mock the bathmat, I threw it out. :lol:

Good on you for getting the girls so far along. :D

Well yesterday I scrubbed out the cage, took out everything, cleaned it and rearranged it. While I did this Piper and Sydney hung out in their play area.......no problem. It took me about 2 hrs.....course I was having fun figuring out where to put some new things I bought :)
Then I put the girls in.....everything was great Sydney began making a bed..she loves to rip up paper I put on the bottom and fill all the beds with them....Piper ran around sniffing and playing......no problems. Then the usual Sydney going to a bed, Piper getting in very slowly and submissively and Sydney getting out and leaving........no scuffles just snubbing. They where together all day..each sleeping in their own bed.....about 7 hrs......then......Piper tried to get on the hammock with Sydney......Sydney grabbed her and flipped her over......Piper grabbed Sydney and they rolled around the hammock scuffling but no squeaking...... I held my breath and waited.....it only lasted a second or so but when it was over Piper had Sydney pinned on her back and she was right on top of her. She let Sydney up and they just sat their looking at one another, then they both started to groom, moving around, went and got a snack that I quickly put in the cage and then went off to bed TOGETHER........they slept together after that......everything seems more relaxed.......I hope that is it.....they are sleeping right now in the tube....
I tried to take pictures but Sydney sees me and comes running over and of course Piper is right behind her but I will keep trying.

I am trying to get a picture of them sleeping together....no problems at all since the last scuffle :D . Every time I go near the cage, and it is right here beside my computer, they get out of bed........I will keep trying. I am so happy that neither one is alone anymore.......makes me want more :D

Dahlas said:
I am trying to get a picture of them sleeping together....no problems at all since the last scuffle :D . Every time I go near the cage, and it is right here beside my computer, they get out of bed........I will keep trying. I am so happy that neither one is alone anymore.......makes me want more :D

LOL I've still yet to get a decent group shot of my original two and their new playmate. I'm glad everything turned out so well. I also gained confidence after my first intro and am certainly acquiring more. :oops: My housemate isn't very happy, lol.

Back