Introducing LILY

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I know I really have to wait the two weeks. She loves being out. I took her out last night and she was out for an hour sitting on my shoulder bruxing. How can you put a rat back in their cage when they are doing that. :(

LA said:
Thank you. I know I really have to wait the two weeks. She loves being out. I took her out last night and she was out for an hour sitting on my shoulder bruxing. How can you put a rat back in their cage when they are doing that. :(
I knwo whatyou mean. I really wanted Starla to be around other animals, but I waited. I'm lucky I did, because she ended up with mites. I treated her, and all is well (other than a possible uri).

LA said:

I had the same problem with Basil. Since his quarantine cage was in the bedroom, I would let him run and play on the bed while I sat with him. It was always hard to put him back because he spent most of his "out" time cleaning any part of me that he could reach. (manicures anyone? :D!!!)

I found that giving him treats, after putting him back in the cage, made me feel better. A yogurt covered raisin, fresh fruit, anything healthy and unsalted and unspiced from my leftovers did wonders in making the little man feel comfortable.

One thing I do remember from Debbie is that rats need 8 hours of complete darkness in each 24 hour period. Rats are also vulnerable to drafts so I have made it a habit to cover a portion of their cage with a bedsheet and a heavy towel. This kills two birds with one stone. It protects them from any drafts (i.e. air conditioning vents) and it prevents any lights from shining into the cage (i.e. kitchen stove clock/microwave clock/alarm system display panel, etc.).

Hang in there sweetie! If my Ben and Basil are any indications, Lily knows of your other rat(s) existences. My guys knew long before I "introduced" them! They have an awesome sense of smell and know that there is another rat in the house!

Lily needs the time and solitude to adjust to her new surroundings. She needs the chance to get to know you and your scent. You will play a pivotal role when it comes to "joining" them so it is vital that she knows and trusts you as the "head rat". My support of Basil helped Ben understand that Basil was a friend but it took Basil about a week to understand that I was on his side and not out to harm him.

It sounds like Lily has already bonded with you but the extra few days will not hurt her.

Somehow I have the feeling that quarantine is harder on us than it is on them!!! :D

You are doing the right thing and it will be "introduction time" before you know it! ;)

WOW Jennifer... you are totally right. I was also thinking as I was reading your post that the time I spend with Lily will put my scent on her and when Ruby and Hazel meet her that might help a bit. I agree that it's harder on us then them. Lily needs to learn Wayne and I are to be trusted and will protect her. You (all of you) are so right.

LA said:
WOW Jennifer... you are totally right. I was also thinking as I was reading your post that the time I spend with Lily will put my scent on her and when Ruby and Hazel meet her that might help a bit. I agree that it's harder on us then them. Lily needs to learn Wayne and I are to be trusted and will protect her. You (all of you) are so right.

It took Basil and Ben approximately 3 days to get used to each other and I was introducing them 3-4 times a day in the bathtub. The first two days were the worst but Ben eventually calmed himself.

Did you find Debbie Ducummon's "rat introduction" instructions? Make sure that you watch the rats like a hawk for the first few days, during the introduction phase, unless they are one heart and one soul from the very start. Rat fights can, from what I've heard, be really vicious and that is absolutely not what anyone wants for any of the little ladies. :(

If you need the intro instructions, I will be happy to post them for you. :)

It's been a week and she's so sweet. I walk past the cage and Lily reaches up to get my attention. She's a lot easier to get out of the cage then Ruby and Hazel and just likes to sit there on my shoulder when she's out, that and go around and around my neck.

She looks so healthy, I have felt her up and down for scabs and bumps and can't feel a thing, she hasn't sneezed, coughed or anything. Her eyes are healthy and bright and she's always bright.

YAY I'm so happy, I can't wait to start intros.

I had my rats (after their qt) in seperate cages about 2 feet away from eachother. They didn't properly meet for a couple of weeks.. and as you know from reading my posts, the intro went great! I think getting them used to eachothers' scent for a while first may help.

OK, I know that maybe I was hasty. We shall see. But I put Lily's cage beside Ruby and Hazels last night to get them aquainted with each others scent (yes only after a week, and I realize the complications that this could cause but I took a chance so please don't hate me, I have paid much attention to Lily and her health and there is NOTHING, I will continue to keep a very close eye on her). There is another reason why I am doing this this soon. We are going on Holidays in mid September and I want them ok with each other before we leave and have lots of time together in a cage before we leave.

So as I said I put them beside each other. Well, what a stir this caused. Ruby actually was chewing at the bars... I think I got a picture of it and I will post them. Ruby at this moment is at the top level of the cage sitting looking at the other cage. Lily I think is sleeping and Hazel is off in a corner sleeping. They really want to see each other up close. Because we are off Wednesday I will try an intro on Wednesday and see how it goes.

Like I said, I know I rushed this, and I think I will be okay with it all. I will keep you updated.

LA said:
OK, I know that maybe I was hasty. We shall see. But I put Lily's cage beside Ruby and Hazels last night to get them aquainted with each others scent (yes only after a week, and I realize the complications that this could cause but I took a chance so please don't hate me, I have paid much attention to Lily and her health and there is NOTHING, I will continue to keep a very close eye on her). There is another reason why I am doing this this soon. We are going on Holidays in mid September and I want them ok with each other before we leave and have lots of time together in a cage before we leave.

So as I said I put them beside each other. Well, what a stir this caused. Ruby actually was chewing at the bars... I think I got a picture of it and I will post them. Ruby at this moment is at the top level of the cage sitting looking at the other cage. Lily I think is sleeping and Hazel is off in a corner sleeping. They really want to see each other up close. Because we are off Wednesday I will try an intro on Wednesday and see how it goes.

Like I said, I know I rushed this, and I think I will be okay with it all. I will keep you updated.

You know better than anyone if the "time is right" for the intros to begin sweetie so I don't think anyone can hate you for anything. :)

Ben did the same thing Ruby did when I first put the cages next to each other. He went to his second level to stare down at Basil and tried chewing through the bars to get to him.

Based on Ben's initial bathtub reaction, I do not think that his interest or bar chewing episodes were intended to be friendly. Nevertheless, they survived and now take turns powergrooming each other.

Yesterday, I came home to find Basil flat on his back with his paws in the air. Ben was powergrooming his face...LOL!!! No worries though... about five minutes later the tables had been reversed and Ben was on his back with his paws in the air.

Lord... I think I have two alpha males on my hands!!! :D

Back