Introducing... BARBOSSA!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramma2jaakk

Ok, I know it has been a long time since I've posted anything here, but I have been coming here once in a while to see what is going on. I lost my last girls late last year. I got Maggie and D'Arcy from one of the vet techs where I take my critters, and they were both close to 36 months when they had to cross over the bridge. Maggie had a lung infection, and D'Arcy had 2 tumors the doctor was not comfortable removing due to her age. Maggie left us in late October, D'Arcy left one week before Christmas. My hubby said that I should wait a while before adopting more, since I was so devastated.

So now, we fast forward to last week. I had been traveling, but knew when I got home from all my trips that I was going to get more ratties. My friend's son had a lone rat that was not getting any attention, and my friend had already asked me if I would take her. Sure! I am not going to turn a rattie in need away! But oh, by the way, she might be nippy. UGH! Not my favorite thing to go through, but being bitten is not the worst I've had. So I picked her up Friday (June 21st), and had no trouble getting her out of the cage and into the transport cage to bring her home.

Now, the cage she was in, was a 10 gallon fish tank with a cage topper on it. I do not like those!! And this rattie was in it alone, with nothing to keep her entertained. And on pine shavings. No solid levels for her feet, except the bottom of the tank. So, since I had no idea on the health of this girl, I took her to the vet for a well-baby check... I was in such a rush to move her from the tank to my transport cage that I didn't really take the time to look her over very good.

But... at the vet's office, we had a BIG reveal!! The rattie we had already named Suzie, was no longer Suzie! I had already made arrangements to adopt two little girls from a local breeder so "Suzie" would have friends after introductions were done. As I removed "Suzie" from the transport cage, that is when I got a GOOD look, and noticed she was now a he! We had to come up with a new name. My son suggested Barbossa, since the girls will have pirate names. I have already scheduled Barbossa to be neutered. Which means he will have to wait a few weeks longer to be introduced to Swann and Sparrow. (I'll have to get pictures of the girls soon. I want everyone to see them!)

Barbossa is SUCH a little love! I really didn't need to worry about him being nippy. He loves his outside-the-cage playtime, he popcorns, bruxes, grooms fingers and hands, and is so much fun! Barbossa is learning how to be a rat, and how much love he can get from the people in this house. The friend's son did not pay any attention to him, and would try to let him run around on the floor in a giant hamster ball. I'm so happy I was able to get Barbossa!! Check out his picture!

Attachments

• 20190623_152329.jpg
    20190623_152329.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 262
Welcome back !
Awww ….. what a lovely little boy! Barbossa sounds like an amazing little rattie
Since babies need to be at least 8 weeks old (10 weeks is safer) they likely would have had to wait awhile before intros anyway

btw the Reference Section disappeared awhile ago but we have a Reference Thread with a lot of helpful information on many topics, including introducing new ratties, why spay or neuter, etc https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Last edited:
Sooo happy to see you back with your lovely new boy! He looks like a real doll. Bright, happy eyes in your wonderful care. Can't wait to hear more updates on him and "meet" the girlies :)

Back