Introducing 6 week old rat to 3 15 week olds

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim1005

Hi!

Recently I noticed on craigslist someone in need of homing some baby rats. They are still only 4 weeks, but I have a big double critter nation and wanted to give a baby a home. Ive never done introductions, but have researched. I really would prefer not to adopt 2 more. Would there be an issue with introducing such a young single rat to three older (but still young) rats? Any extra advice?

Boys can be harder to introduce since they have higher testosterone, but those ages are pretty young so I don't know how high it would be at that age. You can start by introducing them in a neutral area like a bed or tub and if they don't get along well together you can do a longer introduction like JoinRat's method: Using Baby Steps to Introduce Rats to Rats - JoinRats It's your decision whether you want to risk getting a baby who may or may not get along with your existing rats but I think as long as you introduce them correctly, you won't have any problems.

Since you are introing rats over 12 weeks old, you will need to do gradual intros.
The baby will need to be at least 8 weeks old but 10 weeks is safer.
Thus it would be best if you got another same sex baby as that is too long for a babu=y to live alone.

For intro information please see joinrats.org and Introducing new rats
Also, our Reference Thread has a lot of good info REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Hopefully all rats are the same sex as having more then one intact sex in the same household is an accident waiting to happen
Good luck and I hope you let us know how it goes

Back