Intro with only young boys

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karelkees

Hi,

I have two boys who are 11 weeks old now.
Next week i will get 2 new boys, who are 6 weeks old then.

I am a bit confused if i should let the new boys grow a bit and settle in before starting the intro, or if it is best to start the intro asap because the other two will be 12-23 weeks old when the new boys arive?

Rats are considered to be babies until 12 weeks old. Over 12 weeks they are considered to be teens.
Babies see new ratties as playmates so can just be put together, rats over 12 weeks old see new ratties as possible threats so intros need to be carefully and gradually done over time.
When babies are introed to rats over 12 weeks old, they need to be at least 8 weeks old, 1o weeks is safer.
Young babies do not smell like rats and older rats can mistake them for prey and kill them.

Sounds like you will be just on the boarder of the limits if the older boys will be 12 weeks old.

Will you be doing any quarantine of the new ratties before starting intros?
Are the ratties from the same place?
I would watch to see if the older boys are starting to get hormonal or territorial or defensive before making a decision.

Please check out our Reference Thread for a lot of good information https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Lilspaz68 and Jorats would be good people to get an opinion from due to their extensive experience and knowledge

Last edited:
I am not sure if hormones are kicking in yet. I see them boxing together en rolling around squeeking, but i think it is just play.

They will be 13 weeks next week. Maybe better to keep the babies separated for 2 weeks?
I only have a small mini duna cage for intro's or sick rats. I think that is too small to keep the babies in for a week or 2?

Or can i just give it a try with the intro?
I pick the new boys up on wednesday,but have to work thursday and friday, so was thinking to start the intro on saturdaymorning when i am home all weekend. Maybe all goes wel, and if not, i am there to seperate them and i will buy a temporary cage for them if neceserry.

Last edited:
I'm sure they are just playing, they can play real hard.
As for the babies, I would probably wait a couple of weeks. And then start slow intros. We have recommended steps on the forum. I'm sure if you do a search for intros, you'll find lots of great ideas.

As Jorats said, wait until the babies are at least 8 weeks old (although 10 weeks is safer)
You might want to make a small bin cage to use as a carrier, and to use for now as a temporary cage Or borrow a cage from the person selling you rats, to use until intros are completed - this could take a few weeks for the babies to be old enough and then a week to several weeks doing intros - see the Reference Thread for info on making a bin cage
Please see this info on the established gradual intro steps https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/introducing-new-rats.34842/#post-491257 as well as ideas on joinrats.com (Info also available in the Reference Thread)

Back