intro question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Revo was done first, then you wait a month because Revo is effective for one month. But the Ivermectin needs to be done once a week for three weeks that means it's really only effective for about a week to 10 days, therefore doing Revo after that time should be safe.

Both Revolution and Ivermectin have such a high safety margin there's little concern for overdosing.

Oh rats! I saw the same date and name as last post and missed the last few postings! Lollipop has had her second dose of Ivermectin (last Friday) and is still showing no improvement. I've called the vet to see if he could switch her to Revolution or if he wants me to bring her back in again. (waiting to hear back now). Thru all this, Skittles is still showing no symptoms of anything. But poor Lollipop is just covered with scabs.

Yeah we had a break here not too long ago where Vegas and Mo were showing thee signs pretty badly but the others did not show any signs of scabs, like Jo said it depends on the rat.

I can not see what else it could be nether maybe someone else knows better then me hehe If they were sep for a bit and lollipop was still showing new signs its hard to say.

Maybe allergy to something food,stuffing?

I had them separated for about five days, hoping Lollipop would scab over, and some of her sores did scab. But she still got new ones. So I put them back together. They cuddle and occasionally squabble, but are pretty good together all-in-all. I doubt it's bedding 'cause I use only fleece. Could be diet, but I've cut down on the protein in a big way since this started. The girls get a lot of carbs -- puffed wheat and rice. I wonder if she's developed an allergy to this.... let's see if the vet will give Revolution.. I'm still waiting to hear back. This is terribly frustrating :gaah:

It really is frustrating... and if the Revo doesn't help at all, then definitely gotta start with a hole new diet. Maybe even ask for a anti-fungal shampoo.

Vet is also confounded, but has agreed to give me Revolution, says I can start it at any time because it's completely different from Ivermectin. (Which I think it incorrect -- isn't Ivermectin a derivative of Revo or something like that?)

From his perspective, he expects Revo will do nothing because he took a scraping and it showed no mites, and Skittles shows no signs of mites, and the ivermectin didn't work. I've told him about what I've read how some rats do not respond to ivermectin anymore, and since we don't have a clue what else to do, we might as well at least try it.

Anyway, having had dose #2 of ivermectin just a few days ago, would you still believe it's safe to give her revolution today?

Revolution is based off the drug selamectin. I think you are safe to start the revolution right away, but I *could* be wrong.

Looks like the revolution has helped quite a bit. I'm not sure if the marks on her now are not-cleared-up-yet or new, but she's about 80% better. Is Revolution a one-dose drug? Or should I be asking the vet for another dose?

Some scabs could be deeper than others so may take longer to heal. Keep in mind those scabs are caused by her. It's her scratching her skin due to bug bites.
What Moon said... One dose Revo is all it takes. :thumbup:

Back