intro question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

Skittles has been in quarantine for two weeks, and we think she's ready for the first step of the intro process. Lollipop has always been in our livingroom, so we've moved Skittles' cage into the livingroom too. It's very close to Lollipop's cage, 3-5 feet away I'd estimate.

It's been interesting watching them. They've discovered there's another rattie, but they haven't actually met yet. Skittles seems energized by the move into the livingroom, but not bothered any by Lollipop's presence. Lollipop has been acting strangely. She's not interested so much in coming out of her cage, and she's mostly staring at Skittles. I'm wondering if this is stressing her... she's been alone for a long time. Maybe I should be moving Skittles' cage to a different part of the room, further away, or only leaving the cages in the same room for half a day at a time to start..?

This part of the introduction process wasn't very clear to me -- putting their cages in the same room together. I've assumed this is done before putting them together somewhere outside their cages.. Correct? and if so, is there any info/experience anyone could share about this first step? At the moment, I'm mostly concerned about stressing Lollipop..

Thanks!

What I would do if I were you would be to have the cages right next to each other. This way Lollipop can see Skittles and realize that yes, there is a new rat in the home. This helps her get "used" to that concept. You can start intros on neutral ground at any time now. Once Lollipop will have met Skittles face to face, she shouldn't be as fixated, she will know who Skittles is instead of constantly wondering "who the heck is here?"

As jorats said, cages next to one another.
Make sure that the cages are far enough apart so that if one ratttie gets defensive she can not reach the other through the bars.
They will be very interested in one another. There will be a lot of sniffing the air (curiosity) and there may be puffy hair, snorting etc. (signs of aggression). All normal if it happens and should gradually decrease and stop as they get used to one another.
You can switch cloths from one cage to the other so they get used to the other rat's scent.

I wait until they have gotten used to one another and are not showing signs of aggression toward one another before putting them together in a neutral area. Many of us use the bathtub as a neutral area for intros (plug in, fleece on the bottom, dish of yummy food that can not be carried away such as baby cereal).

Thanks so much for your input on this! I've put the cages next to each other and am just delighted to see them sniffing and checking it all out. Lollipop no longer seems stressed. :joy: So far no signs of aggression. I want to give them tonight to snif snif snif, and hopefully tomorrow evening we'll try the first intro.. (I'm psyched!)

This is so fascinating watching them... I hate to have to leave to go to work! Lollipop has made a few aggressive moves, and is by far more curious and territorial acting than Skittles. I'm playing the timing by ear for the actual introduction, but my sense so far is that Lollipop needs more time yet to adjust before the first meeting outside the cages.. Maybe a few days yet..?..

Sid used to hang his tail out of the cage (cooling him down more maybe?) and when i was introducing him to my old boy Harvey i had to make sure the cages were far apart enough for Sid to hang his tail out without Harvey grabbing hold of it. Ah, he was such a moody boy though :redhot:

Do you swap bedding over at all after its been in one cage for a day or so?

It might help. Im not too sure what other members think about swapping the bedding but i am intending to do it with my boy and his new girls a week or two after they have been here, before they meet each other outside of the cage

Their cages both needed cleaning last night so the bedding hasn't been switched yet. I might try the first intro tonight, though. It seems Lollipop is constantly at the side of her cage where Skittles is, looking over, climbing the bars, etc. Not sure if she's in defense mode or not. Her personality is different even with me right now, as she seems almost preoccupied with Skittles being there. But she doesn't seem aggressive. Skittles, on the other hand, checks over occassionally, and then goes about her business. We're planning to set up the kitchen table with fleece and food and toys and try the first intro.. hopefully tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

This may be the most rewarding thing I've done in years! Lollipop and Skittles met outside their cages today, and it went well. They sniffed eachother, walked around ignoring eachother, then checked eachother out a bit more. Nothing too much. I thought it was very good for a first intro. Here's a photo my husband took. Looks like they're off to a good start so far! :happydance:

While we're in the introduction phase, the two cages are very close to eachother. And while I let one girlie out to play, she wants to jump on top of the other girlie's cage (while the other girlie is still in it). I think it's just curiosity. So far, we've been running interference because we're afraid it could create a type of artificial dominance situation. How do you typically handle this? Should I be playing referee on this do you think? Also, how long do introduction sessions last? Our first one was probably about 20-25mintues. I'm assuming that the length varies depending on how it's going? Should I be making them longer each time until they seem ready to try cohabitating? Thanks!!! I appreciate all your feedback!!!

You're right in thinking that this could create some territorial dominance so I wouldn't allow the other girl to climb the other girls cage.
My intros last about an one hour.... After 40 minutes, rats get tired and it forces them to either cuddle or show their ugly side and that's how you know it might go living together.

Intro night #2: We kept the girlies out for an hour. Lollipop was definitely asserting herself as the dominant one. Several times she got on Skittles' back and groomed her in a somewhat agressive manner, but not for long and there was no blood. I know we have to let them establish their own relationship, but the mommy in me wants to put Lollipop in a time out! Anyway, they rounded out the hour without fighting or bloodshed, but also without cuddling. I think that means it's going pretty well so far. I'm beginning to understand Lollipop's changed behaviour (since we put the cages in the same room) as her putting up her defenses. She seemed preoccupied, almost obsessed with watching the new rattie, and less interested in anything else. She's calming down more now, though. And this morning was actually content to come out and play with us as she used to.

Without the cuddling, it will mean that you'll need to continue intros for a while longer before they can live together.
If you find that Lollipop is being too dominate and constantly on Skittles back, go ahead and remove her and say No or Enough. Let her do it once or twice but no more... this will show Lollipop that you are the alpha and you decide how she treats Skittles.

Thanks. That sounds really good. I will indeed do that! Today we're taking a break from intros, due mostly to our schedules. Tomorrow we will proceed and keep Lollipop in check as needed.

Back