Integrating a single rat into another pair?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hannahallie101

So, I've owned rats for a large part of my life. Therefore, friends and family see me as the "rat lady". Close to a year and a half ago one of my mom's close friends brought me a small baby rat who someone had abandoned at a pet store. My mom's friend was buying dog food when she overheard the employees talking about the little babe then jumped in and said, "I have a home for that little rat!". I came home later that day to find this little girl hanging out in one of my spare cages. At the time I owned an older rat named Piper. She had lost her cage mate of few months prior to the arrival of this new baby. So, naturally, I planned to get the two girls together. I waited until the baby was a bit bigger, named her Annie then started the integration process. I tried everything, but Piper was just not willing to accept Annie. A year and a half later, Piper passed away at 2 and a half. Its been close to two months and I still miss her dearly. I happy shes a peace though. It has happened again, however. Another family friend is asking me to take two little baby rats. I have space, time, money, and have already said "yes". My question is though, will Annie accept them. She has lived alone almost her entire life, but I desperately want to find her a group. Other rats for her to live and socialize with. Now is my chance. But what can I do to help her ease in and accept the other girls? She's a very social little girl, she enjoys riding on my shoulder, having play time, learning new tricks, and is very hyper. Most of the time she is a good girl, but she does her fair share of mischief. She's sweet and has never been aggressive with me before. She grooms me and is very affectionate. I'm nervous however to see how she reacts. Like I said, she's been alone for most of her life but has never shown any signs of depression or loneliness. If anyone has any advice please share it with me, Annie and I would greatly appreciate it. :)

I've adopted several lone rats and successfully integrated them. Taking intro steps greatly helps get the rats used to each other and even start to love each other.

Back