Instructions on how to make a FN liner - *Photos added*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingosm8

Does anyone know where I can find photos or instructions on how to make a fleece liner/cover for the ferret nation floors?
I want to start making a stash of liners while my ratties are using the coroplast floors/liners I made.

Should I make them out of two layers of fleece?
Should it be pillowcase style? or like an envelope?
I've got a bunch of fleece waiting to be sewn.

Well....I found some old flannel and fleece, and I've decided to try to make some on my own. I haven't gotten to the liners yet, but here are some photos of the shelf and ramp liners. If these work out well, I'll probably make some more, and make photo instructions to post on the forum for other people to use. These were just made out of a single layer of flannel. Very quick and easy to change out, and I made plenty.

2281417170_f280dd707a.jpg

2280625523_796210830b.jpg

Nice and neat on the underside
2280626015_814ca28120.jpg

The boys' cage with their cute little liners.
2281418646_2ff43a1533.jpg

I don't have an FN but I wish I did :roll: but I did a little looking around and on a ferret site (of all places :lol: ) I found a step by step pictorial of how someone made covers for their FN you can find it here: http://forum.ferret.com/tm.asp?m=17515
I would've copied but out of respect to the owner, I'm not :) it's post #9 on the page
Hope it helps :D

I got dollar store fleece blankets, fold over the edges underneath the pans and then i safety pin the corners so they stay under.

Many people have said that when the do a pillowcase style or make them tight around the edges their rats chew them. Mine don't seem to.

When i wash them i leave the pins in and then pop them back over the edges!

I think double fleece liners would e good - more absorbent! I sometimes put puppy pee pads underneath the fleece to help them absorb better.

I'm trying out some ideas in my head. I came up with these envelope style liners for the shelfs and ramps. I'm still working on a simple plan for the main trays. I'll keep this thread updated.

I just take Velcro and put it on the fleece and sew it on so it stays on when I wash it and stick the other Velcro peice on the floors and it stays down good and they don't even try to pull it up...well as long as they can't see a piece they can grab and be like ohhh I wonder what happens when I pull on this lol

This is the cage I just bought for my two boys (minus the wheel; it's HUGE!):

pPETS-3766121dt.jpg

I was wondering how I could go about lining this cage with some fleece? RIght now all they have is a fleece blanket on the bottom that they curl up in and burrow in.

Back