Injured Young Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a bit clearer, just the first few seconds she cooperated then she ran up my arm. she's got a lot of energy but how can she look this bad underneath? like i said she felt "crusty" underneath yesterday so i bathed her and then we have this today. could something from the treatment at the vet have caused this all to just leak out? i really dont see a new source of where that's all coming from.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8brno07X24[/ame]

I think I'm going to have to let her go :( She lost 8 grams in 2 days. I forgot to weigh her yesterday but she went from 64 to 56 from Thursday night until last night (late Saturday night). It sucks because she's got energy and is eating and drinking and trying to groom herself. She climbs all over the cage when she wants out, and is awake a lot more than she used to be. But you guys said you didn't think she could get better. I should've listened. She doesn't seem in pain, at least.

Last edited:
Its possible, receiving the right antibiotics that the infection is coming out...she may have been systemic with all those bite wounds...so in a way this could be a good thing, BUT she has to gain weight. She's at a very scary low weight. Can you get a followup checkup with this last vet and show them? They need to see this.

yes we already have apt scheduled tmrw night 6:10. She eats a lot i dont get it

Only healthy rats grow. all that energy from food is going towards that inner battle in her body. :(

She's 3 months old now? And weighs about as much as a healthy 3 week old rat :(

Does she eat normally? Can you get us a video of her eating? This can show neuro signs as well.

She's probably 10 weeks now, at most 11. Right now she's mad at me because I gave her a bath, so I can't get a video of her eating. i will say she seems to eat like all the other rats do. she picks off a piece of what she's eating, puts it in her paws, and eats it until it's gone, then repeats, until whatever she's eating is gone. she is very picky and only interesting in things like rice, toast, muffins, hash browns, and she likes these banana cookies for babies but hasn't been eating them as much the last few days. I think she was doing better on amoxicillin to be honest, but then again something the vet did while treating her could've caused a setback. i believe the gunk is coming from the wound on her cheek. the vet removed the scab and it never scabbed back over.

but she is eating more than she ever has. i just have to give her what she wants.

With all that fluid, do you think she may have a hole in her stomach? That is a lot of wetness. She has been on antibiotics almost a whole week, so should be getting better and the infection should be under control, or at least much better. I am very worried for her. I can't imagine that this excess fluid leaking is an improvement. I am so glad she has an appointment tomorrow. If it is stomach acid, that is very bad.
I'm sorry you are having such a rough couple of weeks. I know you are trying your best.
:hugs:

No it wasn't from her stomach. It was on her chest and above, not the lower part of her stomach. I've examined her and I do not see any sign of an opening in her stomach or chest area. I really think it's from the cheek wound, the gunk all over her body was the same color as the unscabbed wound on her cheek last night.

The good news is since her bath today there is no new leakage, she is dry. A little crusty b/c I didn't use shampoo, but dry. The wound on her neck is much smaller, the "lining" much thinner, but there is still a hole there. She's losing weight again which is why I'm afraid we're almost at the end of the road.

I would think if the gunk is a sign of infection and its coming out - that would be good. I've read some of the stuff she's eating and that she is a picky eater, but I think perhaps you should try more fatty foods likes avocado, baby cereal with soy formula, cheese, etc. If she is getting more active and eating more after all you have been through, I would keep going, but I'm not one to give up and sometimes that is a bad thing (for my bank account especially). I like to believe they will tell you when they've had enough, but you need to do what you feel is in the best interest of your baby. I'll get my cheerleaders out again - we've been having our own rough times here with our ratties and they have been in hiding for awhile.

:cheering: :cheer: Go Team Olivia!! :cheer: :cheering:

shes dying. she was active a couple hours ago and i just checked on her, shes cold, barely btreathing, not moving,

so basically the second rat i killed in a day. im just holding her i dont think she has long

ok shes gone

I am so sorry, but there was no way once she started oozing that she would survive. She's at peace now and you didn't have to make that horrible decision tomorrow. As for your other boy, you tried to help him, there was no "killing" on your part. If you haven't dealt with illnesses with your rat colony before this you were incredibly lucky, but sadly this can happen to even the most experienced of owners.

((hugs))

No it's been a month this year that we got our first 2 rats. They are still living and doing well. I just am thrown by the three deaths with in 2.5 weeks completely unrelated that I know of. Brooklyn I think had an aneurysm it was a matter of 1 hr between the time she started having trouble to when she passed; Croix was the myco/pneumonia and then Olivia of course from the attack. I swear the humane society where I have them cremated is going to think we're horrible rat owners. Just dropped Croix off yesterday and Olivia I'll take tomorrow. I hope Raphael gets better and we get back to normal. I have never ever seen something die (bugs I don't count) and this was very hard for me. It did happen fast, 4-5 deep breaths, body twitched for about 15 seconds, leg twitched then she was gone. I don't know if it's usually more drawn out than that or not but it was really hard. I should have let her go sooner. I hope she wasnt feeling tortured. She was nesting and climbing the cage just a few hours ago. Anyway I guess I'll stop posting in this thread since it's over. Maybe it will prevent someone from making the same stupid mistake I made by introducing Olivia when she was too young to defend herself. Poor baby :(

The school of hard knocks can be cruel at times...

I'm sorry you had everything happen all at once, although sometimes it's easier to just go through one big grieving period instead of keep getting hit again when you start to feel better.
Brooklyn and Croix will show Olivia the way to the Bridge so she won't be alone. :heart:

3 more are sick with what i'm guessing are myco symptoms. vet fund nearly depleted. it's not good for this all to happen at once. i can't afford to have olivia cremated bc i need to get the 3 sick ones treatment. how do i preserve her body so i can have it cremated when i get paid (Friday)?

and yes i had a vet fund. it's almost gone. all in a month. and they all died anyway.

Last edited:
You can freeze her. Sorry for your loss - I've lost 8 this year, 2 in a the last week. Although they have been sick and/or old, but I had one unexpected. Its very hard no matter what the circumstances are. This thread, if it helps you to know, has made me wait longer to intro my little guys although they are 11 weeks old today - I'm still worried they might be too little so I'm holding off.

:rose3: RIP little girl!

3 more are sick with what i'm guessing are myco symptoms.
If three more are sick, then you have a red-alert situation!
Your rats have probably been exposed to a virus. You need to get them on medication right away. This is probably NOT a simple myco flare up with all three showing symptoms at once, especially where you have just lost at least one to a respiratory problem. It may be pneumonia or another virus.
You should set up an appointment to have them assessed ASAP.
Make sure the vet is actually listening to you and understands the situation. Be firm! It's better to over-react than not react enough and have regrets.

Tuck your baby girl in the freezer for now. The living are more important than the dead.

Yes they were put on Baytril/Doxycylcline today. Hopefully correct dosages as I have been told Olivia was underdosed. Not that it would've made a difference. But it could for these guys.

Does amoxi work as a preventative with a situation like this? I don't necessarily want to go through the ordeal of medicating 12 rats twice a day but if it will help I'll do it. I can't get a straight answer anywhere. I know antibiotics don't treat viruses so I assume no, but I wanted to ask. I also have lots of clavamox left that was meant for Olivia.

The antibiotics won't help with the virus, but will help with any secondary infections taking advantage of a tired and sick rattie. I don't think I would necessarily start everyone, but I would jump on the slightest sign of sickness.
Amoxicillin I believe is good for stuff like pneumonia. The Clavamox has a short shelf life once reconstituted though, so you would have to buy more to get through any illness (4 -6 weeks).

Yes they were put on Baytril/Doxycylcline today. Hopefully correct dosages as I have been told Olivia was underdosed. Not that it would've made a difference. But it could for these guys.

Does amoxi work as a preventative with a situation like this? I don't necessarily want to go through the ordeal of medicating 12 rats twice a day but if it will help I'll do it. I can't get a straight answer anywhere. I know antibiotics don't treat viruses so I assume no, but I wanted to ask. I also have lots of clavamox left that was meant for Olivia.

If you put their weights and doses on here someone will review them. The only problem with medicating rats that don't need it, is that it may not work when they do need it since they may become immune to the antibiotic. We give our boys a holistic OI Immune and that seems to work pretty good. We also have this, but haven't tried it yet. It gets mix into their block food. http://www.exoticdvm.com/Booster The vitamins are pretty useless since it takes pretty much a chain saw to divide the darn things.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+28208+24384&pcatid=24384

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+28208+24387&pcatid=24387

Back