Injured toes

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Giul

Hello! This is my first post here because it’s my first time ever needing help with rats so sorry if I post this in an unusual manner.

Today I purchased a “large” male rat that my family and I have named Buddy. My friend told me that a local reptile store sold Fancy rats and I just had to take a look. I instantly fell in love with Buddy and took him home since he was living in a small cage with a dozen other rats. I instantly noticed these two things- one is a black spot (a scab I assume) where a toe nail should be, and another is a very swollen toe with two scabs on either side. He’s been very friendly and has no trouble walking so I assume it’s an older injury. I also think the swollen toe may be from a bite but I’m unsure.

What do you guys think? Does he need any special treatment or will he heal okay on his own?

Attachments

• A136A594-5F44-4BE6-A256-98A67DC88686.jpeg
    A136A594-5F44-4BE6-A256-98A67DC88686.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 164
  • FB42E193-1B6B-458D-B5E5-680DD5EDACB3.jpeg
    FB42E193-1B6B-458D-B5E5-680DD5EDACB3.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 176
  • EB75ACC5-C278-445E-9F7A-06B3500748BF.jpeg
    EB75ACC5-C278-445E-9F7A-06B3500748BF.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 154
His toe looks pretty swollen. I’d take him to a vet just to be sure it’s not infected or something else is going on. He’s a cutie, hope his little toe gets better soon! :)

One of my rats has seizures so sometimes he’ll hurt his paws, his toe nail came off one time and the nail seemed a bit bruised and purple but it was never swollen like that. If it goes down and is just a scab then maybe it’ll just heal up.

His toe looks pretty swollen. I’d take him to a vet just to be sure it’s not infected or something else is going on. He’s a cutie, hope his little toe gets better soon! :)

Ah, great to hear! I was worried he’d need immediate help but now I can rest knowing he’ll be okay for the night

Ah, great to hear! I was worried he’d need immediate help but now I can rest knowing he’ll be okay for the night
Yeah I think he should be okay for the night but definitely keep an eye on it :) and take him to the vet if it’s not getting better! Hope you both have a good night.

Hi, congrats on your new sweetie. His toe injury is pretty common in rats. It should heal up on it's own but keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected. As for his back, I can't see what you mean. Can you take a closer picture. And lastly, your little guy will need a male friend. Rats are social critters and really need a same sex companion.

Please go back to the store today and get another male rat whom he was living with.
Rats need to live with at least one other same sex rat and it is safest (re disease) to get them from the same place.
Unless rats are all under 12 weeks old (babies), they must be gradually introduced to each other so that no one is hurt as rats are territorial - (there are established steps to follow)

The swollen toe looks like it may be infected. If it is you will want to take him to see a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats and put him on an antibiotic such as clavamox.

Having a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats is essential.
Rats become ill and die fast without medical care.

I hope you will post lots of pics
and ask lots of questions

btw this would be a good cage for 2 or 3 boys https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...t-small-animal-habitat-14531.html?cgid=600124

they also have the double cage if you wanted more room https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...evel-small-animal-cage-21573.html?cgid=600124

Since it is cyber Monday, the above items are on sale - it looks like 25% off if you pick it up at the store

Hi, congrats on your new sweetie. His toe injury is pretty common in rats. It should heal up on it's own but keep an eye on it so it doesn't get infected. As for his back, I can't see what you mean. Can you take a closer picture. And lastly, your little guy will need a male friend. Rats are social critters and really need a same sex companion.

Please go back to the store today and get another male rat whom he was living with.
Rats need to live with at least one other same sex rat and it is safest (re disease) to get them from the same place.
Unless rats are all under 12 weeks old (babies), they must be gradually introduced to each other so that no one is hurt as rats are territorial - (there are established steps to follow)

The swollen toe looks like it may be infected. If it is you will want to take him to see a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats and put him on an antibiotic such as clavamox.

Having a good vet with the knowledge and experience to treat rats is essential.
Rats become ill and die fast without medical care.

I hope you will post lots of pics
and ask lots of questions

btw this would be a good cage for 2 or 3 boys https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...t-small-animal-habitat-14531.html?cgid=600124

they also have the double cage if you wanted more room https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...evel-small-animal-cage-21573.html?cgid=600124

Since it is cyber Monday, the above items are on sale - it looks like 25% off if you pick it up at the store

I do plan on getting him a friend but I wanted to make sure he safely healed before getting him a partner. This is my first time going to this vender (and my first time having an injured rat) so I just wanted to take it slow.

I’ve had many rats before so I’m good with the cage, but I’m very tempted to purchase some of the hammocks I’ve seen on this forum. Thanks for the help everyone

Back