Inhalers

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just got this inhaler for Toby:
ventolin HFA, salbutamol sulphate inhalation aerosol, 100 mcg, bronchodilator for oral inhalation.
It is for people and from the drug store by perscription

I am hoping this will help with his congestion due to scarred lungs.

I put him in a carrier wrapped in a blanket and sprayed it a few times and left him for a few minutes ..he lungs sounded much clearer after.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this? if so how often did you do it? Did you find it helped?

I figured I would put this in its onw thread, so other perople who have inhalers or may get inhalers could learn too!

I bought a plastic storage tub and put holes in that and that's how I use my inhalers. I usually leave them for 5 minutes, for some it has helped, others it's not. :(

Rachael said:
I bought a plastic storage tub and put holes in that and that's how I use my inhalers. I usually leave them for 5 minutes, for some it has helped, others it's not. :(

How often do you use them? everyday? once a week? etc

Only spray the one time, you can overdose with that medicine.
I simply put the inhaler close to the nose and spray once. I do it each time I see or hear that he is struggling or not being as active as he should be.

opps I sprayed more than once :emb:

That was 5 hours ago, he is still acting and eating fine ..hopefully that one time never hurt him :panic:

never had to do this myself, but i've always heard that letting the rat wander into a paper bag (maybe toss a yogi inside), spray once, and hold bag shut for a few seconds so he can breathe it all in.

I have used a tall but small box. Punched a hole near the top for the inhaler mouth, put rat in, closed box, puffed once (I wanted to make sure I didn't spray it in their eyes) and let them sit for a few minutes as they breathed it in. It can help during an attack sometimes.

Excellent! That means it's probably scar tissue in his lungs and not pulmonary abscesses. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

jorats said:
Excellent! That means it's probably scar tissue in his lungs and not pulmonary abscesses. Keeping my fingers crossed that this works.

I hope so too.

Edit: I'll keep you updated

So far we have only had to use it once.

So ..Toby was good all last night and this morning and after work ..about 2 hours ago he started making those god damn congested sounds again ..only when I would pick him up ..

Edit: He dose have a lot more energy ..i guess where he can breath better.

Dose it take time for this work?
How often should I do it?

:panic:

It dose give immediate relife for about 24 hours ..then he needs it again.

When his congested ..he dosnet gasp of air or anything its jusy horrible horrible sounds:(

I have a little sickie at home who was not doing well last night, and had a resp. attack. I covered her eyes with my hand and gave her a puff in the face...it really helped. So much that this morning, when I thought I would be taking her in to be pts, her breathing has relaxed and she dived into the Ensure I gave my oldie girls. :thumbup:

Thats excellent Shelgah.

I wish it was that easy with Toby.

I would not consider his attacks ..as he runs around and eats while making these sounds ..

I dont know what it is ..but its driving me crrazy (I dont mean the sound is driving me crazy ..its driving me crazy that I donno how to make it go away)

Back