I'm down to my last rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello, lost one of my babies today and I'm down to my last rat. I don't plan on getting anymore rats for a number of reasons and I'm not sure what to do. She is 2 years and 8 months. She has chronic respiratory issues and lost mobility on her hind legs but is doing good otherwise. I don't want her to be alone but she is very attached and has been living with me ever since she was 2 months old. I was thinking about rehoming her but then someone I talked to about it made me feel horrible about it and now I'm not sure what to do. I would love it if I could keep her with me until she passes but I don't want her to become lonely. I am home almost all the time now and can give her a lot of attention but I know some people don't think that is enough. I just want to do what's best for her but I'm also afraid rehoming will be a huge and very stressful change for her. Would it be okay to keep her and watch for signs of loneliness/depression? Any thoughts or advice on what I should/could do in this situation would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Rehoming her would be too stressful at this age. As long as you have LOTS of time to give to her, she will be fine. I totally think you should keep her with you. She only knows you and in her old age, she needs you. I don't know how others will feel about this but rats are a family oriented species and yes, you ARE her family. If she was any younger than 2 I would suggest you get her a friend but she is approaching her rainbow bridge and you have the time to give her. So no, you don't need to get another rat if you're not planing on getting any more.

This is only my opinion on your specific situation. I am saying what I would do if I was in your shoes.

I'm in the same situation and I'm personally keeping my little man- I couldn't bare the thought of him going to someone else

Rehoming her would be too stressful at this age. As long as you have LOTS of time to give to her, she will be fine. I totally think you should keep her with you. She only knows you and in her old age, she needs you. I don't know how others will feel about this but rats are a family oriented species and yes, you ARE her family. If she was any younger than 2 I would suggest you get her a friend but she is approaching her rainbow bridge and you have the time to give her. So no, you don't need to get another rat if you're not planing on getting any more.

This is only my opinion on your specific situation. I am saying what I would do if I was in your shoes.
Thank you for your reply! I decide I will be keeping her especially now that I've noticed her chronic lung issues are becoming worse.

I totally have to agree. Its one thing to rehome a young rat that isn't complete bonded with you, but an oldie who is comfortable and has lived her whole life with you, its best to keep them. :)
Okay, awesome ! I 100% prefer it this way. I love my little baby, she is my heart rat. I just wanted to make sure I am doing what's best for her.

Back