I'M ALIVE! A quickie update on the ratties (pics!), me, and the baby

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

Egads, its been a long while since I've last posted here - been lurking mostly.

Pregnancy has been going along well (knock on wood), and I honestly don't feel I have much to complain about. Just entering the final month, and I'm still pretty mobile despite gaining 35 pounds. The Peanut herself has been super active the past month, and is currently all primed in the proper head down position. Slowly getting all the baby gear together, and trying desperately to not blow all my monies on super cute but totally unnecessary stuff.

As far as the furkids go, already had the "get rid of them talk" with my dad over the summer - he played the "I can't visit my granddaughter because of my allergies" card ... although my folks hardly ever come up to visit. Then a couple weeks ago, my mom voiced her very wrong assumption that I had gotten rid of my pets, and when I said it wasn't happening, she gave me the "everything must be pure for the baby" talk ... *rolls eyes*

Fortunately the hubby has been more than supportive about me keeping my current crew of rodents, although he's been adamant about no more additions til after things have settled post-baby. So moving on to a quick update of my crew ...

My super senior Scootaloo is still doing really well - hard to believe I brought her home over two years ago in October 2012. She's gotten a bit more roly-poly, and I think her hearing is starting to go since it takes her awhile to react to my shaking of the treat bag. But she's still bright-eyed and enjoying life.
2014-11-01140838_zps25f99587.jpg

2014-11-01140909_zps544f655a.jpg

I've completely given up trying to call this gal "Pippa" - her foster name of "Stick" has ... stuck. Of all the ratties past and current, I think she enjoys hand-wrestling the most, "retaliating" by smothering my hands in kisses. Since the cage is right next to the dinner table, she's made a habit of staring at us while we eat dinner until the hubby breaks down and gives her a treat.
2014-11-29212717_zpsebcfc947.jpg

2014-11-29212133_zps404f5e77.jpg

After over a year, Oliver is finally letting me touch him and pick him up without too much fuss. I have been reluctant to force my affections on the poor dude thanks to his traumatic experience "living" with a snake for several days, so its nice to see him gaining trust in me on his own.
2014-11-29212038_zps54ca204e.jpg

2014-11-29212034_zps81fe45ae.jpg

Basil has turned out to be quite the big stinker. I've been making morning smoothies with Greek yogurt, and have been giving the kiddos the plastic spoon to lick the remnants off of. The moment the cage door is closed, Basil will immediately snatch the spoon and play "keep away" with everyone else. He does that with most other non-block food I give them.
2014-11-01140648_zps6b5578b8.jpg

2014-11-01140724_zps32c3c3e5.jpg

Vanellope, my hamster, has turned into a chunk little monkey. And its unbelievable how rat-like she is! She's quite the climber and adores riding my shoulder as I go about the house - surprisingly her balance is quite remarkable without a long tail as a counter weight. So I set her up with a mini hammock and ladder, and she absolutely LOVES hanging out in it!
2014-09-09203625_zps5a52cad1.jpg

2014-09-09203719_zpsb72c2e8e.jpg

Awww they are all so cute! Yay baby!!
What are your plans on baby and rat association?
It would be super cute if it worked out like all those cute puppy pics and the rats just adored the baby and the baby loved them. Although grabby baby hands make me nervous... However baby foods on the face make yummy treats for ratties later down the line....

Glad to hear everything is going well. Love the pictures, great looking bunch. Wouldn't worry much about the parents, seems to me if it wasn't the ratties they would just find something else to complain about. I have myself one of those types - if she's not complaining she's not happy. Have an enjoyable last month and a short (hopefully) labor.

So good to see you again rhapsody!!!
That's a good idea not adding anymore pets until you are all settled and in a proper baby routine.
How very exciting, it's coming fast!
Your fur babies are so sweet and looking so good too! You are such an excellent mom for all.
btw, Vanellope is super cute!!! Love the hammie in the hammock.

Yay, you guys still remember me! And thankies for all the good wishes.

What are your plans on baby and rat association?
It would be super cute if it worked out like all those cute puppy pics and the rats just adored the baby and the baby loved them. Although grabby baby hands make me nervous... However baby foods on the face make yummy treats for ratties later down the line....

Heh, I've actually given a bit of thought to that. Strongly leaning toward the "look but no touchie" path until the little one understands the concept of "gentle hands" - trying to avoid squished ribs and pulled tails. I do anticipate the baby being entertained by watching the crew have fun during table-top time though.

Back