Igloo aggression: biting problem with a foster rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernie

I volunteer with the local humane society training dogs, assessing temperaments, and giving care to some of the small animals. The humane society recently took a pretty big budget hit and 1/3 of the staff were laid off, so the shelter is even less able to provide individual care for the animals. Many of the almost 900 larger animals like dogs and cats have been transferred to other shelters and, even though it’s a no-kill shelter, there have been more animals euthanizations lately because of health and temperament. Sadly, there aren't many volunteers willing to care for the small animals (rats, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc.), so they're feeling the budget crisis hardest.

About two months ago, my foster rat was surrendered to the shelter. He had a severe ecto-parasite problem, so the humane society kept him in containment for a little over a month to keep the fleas from spreading to other animals (a bit harsh, but they didn't want to risk fleas spreading to other animals given their budget problem). I wasn’t allowed to go and socialize him, so he was likely alone for the entire time. There were no other male rats at the shelter to house him with, so I applied for a fostering license through the shelter so I could bring him home and give him daily attention and care.

When he was moved up to the viewing area, I noticed that he was an extremely nervous boy. Whenever people would come around, he would freeze up. He tried to hide in his igloo or would cower in the corner of his cage. When I tried to feed him by hand, he bit me pretty badly. I wasn’t sure if it was food-related aggression, territorial aggression, or simply poor socialization. I told staff that he nips at food, but didn’t tell them just how bad his bite actually was because they would have either moved him back into holding or euthanized him at that point.

I was able to bring him home for fostering and I’ve started socializing him. He isn’t rat-rat aggressive at all, but is extremely leery of people. Whenever people come around, he still freezes up. When hands come close to him when he’s outside of his igloo, he mouths them – he puts his teeth around the finger as if testing whether or not it’s food. When he’s in the igloo, any hand that comes near is aggressively bitten (lower incisors separate and the cut is rather deep). He would also run and hide whenever I called him by the name that he came in with (Ratatouille), so I changed his name. We call him Merlin now. I imagine that he was probably a fad pet who lived alone, possibly with a child, who received very little socialization and learned that biting was a way of escaping from people.

Aside from simple trust building with the rat, I’ve tried a number of techniques to

• Systematic desensitization/extinction: wearing leather gloves and putting my hand near the front of his igloo so he would learn that biting would NOT get me to leave. This hasn’t been very effective. [/*:m:2b02oyx2]
  • Counterconditioning: I tried feeding him soy milk via a syringe while petting him when he’s in his igloo. It’s been rather effective, but he only allows someone to pet him while he’s getting the soy milk.[/*:m:2b02oyx2]
  • Prompting: Whenever he approaches with lower teeth showing, I tell him “Don’t bite me. Don’t bite.” It works about 70% of the time.[/*:m:2b02oyx2]
  • Modeling: Now that I’ve introduced him to my rats and moved him into the “big boy cage,” I’ve started giving my own rats a lot of attention and scratches when they’re around him to show him that it’s ok to get human attention. This actually seems to be rather effective so far.[/*:m:2b02oyx2]
  • DRO: Using the leather gloves, I would give him 0.1 mL of soy milk every time he did NOT bite my hand coming in the igloo. This was only effective if he had previously been given a bit of soy milk.[/*:m:2b02oyx2]
  • Positive punishment: Whenever he bites one of us, we make a television static/hissing noise.[/*:m:2b02oyx2]
  • Negative punishment: Whenever he bites, I take away the lid of his igloo for about 30 seconds. It’s reasonably effective (reduces follow-up biting by about 80%), but I’m not happy with this because he becomes leery of going back into his igloo and this makes training him take a LOT longer.

Neutering is also another option that I’ve considered, but with the budget cuts mentioned above, the chances are slim to none that the shelter would pay to have a rat neutered so he might stop biting. I can’t pay to have him neutered myself because I have a very tight budget and because my partner has put his foot down about paying for medical services on a rat that isn’t ours - I’m already feeding, socializing, and caring for all of the rats at the humane society, and that’s where I have to draw the line. I do plan to contact my vet as well as KU’s Animal Care Unit (the department that cares for all of the lab animals used at the University of Kansas) to see if they could provide a neutering for him either free or at a reduced rate.[/*:m:2b02oyx2]

If I’m not able to rehabilitate this rat, he will be euthanized by the humane society. They cannot release an animal for adoption if it has any type of known aggression, even if there is someone happy to take the rat in. Unfortunately, accepting the rat for a biter and “not intruding” in the rat’s space is not a viable solution to the problem.

I plan on giving him time and working vigilantly with him, but I’m hoping that someone in the forum will have an idea for something I haven’t tried already!

And here are some pictures of Merlin for your trouble:
100_1447.jpg

[center:2b02oyx2]
100_1435.jpg
[/center:2b02oyx2]

[right:2b02oyx2]
100_1478.jpg
[/right:2b02oyx2]

You're doing a great job already, there's very little I could add on or suggest. When he bites the glove, do you pull your hand back or do you just hold still? I found with my biter Tully, she didn't seem to get it until I made a noise and pushed my finger back at her. Sort of a 'I'm going to continue whether you like it or not' move. I also found that she did a thousand times better when I allowed her to have Out time where I had very little direct contact with her. I didn't force the situation, but kept a small plate of her favorite baby food on my lap. When she came to the plate I'd praise her, and eventually we got to the point where I could stroke her lightly while she ate. As we progressed, I was able to interact with her directly more and more. Unfortunately she passed before we could get much further than that, but she was making great headway. I agree that it seems wrong to make his igloo feel unsafe, especially if it's one of the few places he feels truly safe, but if that remains his strongest point of aggression, it may be worth it to try and take it out of the cage until he learns differently.

I think mostly it's going to be a matter of time and patience. Having companions now, he'll no longer feel so very insecure, and they in turn can comfort him and let him know it's all going to be alright. I really do hope that you're able to continue to work with him and get him a good home.

When he bites the glove, do you pull your hand back or do you just hold still?
I've tried a number of different ways, but I never pull away. Sometimes I stay still, sometimes I push him away or tap his nose, and sometimes I move the finger around to the top of his head and touch him there. With all I say "NO!" very firmly and he doesn't usually bite my glove for the few minutes following that.

I agree that it seems wrong to make his igloo feel unsafe, especially if it's one of the few places he feels truly safe, but if that remains his strongest point of aggression, it may be worth it to try and take it out of the cage until he learns differently.
If he doesn't let up or improve much in the next few days while he's in the big boy cage, I'll definitely give it a try. It's almost impossible for me to completely remove his igloo when he's staying with the other boys unless I take away ALL of the igloos - then I think I might have a little ratty mutiny on my hands! :)

Thanks!

Many people find that making a high-pitched "Eeek!" noise when they nip or bite is a good signal. Javakittie, Lilspaz68, Jorats, SQ and Linda are all very experienced with handling biters, so you may get some more good suggestions. Good luck!

I remember SQ's approach to my Edith, who was a biter to the end.... though she was really good with SQ. When she bit, SQ would grab her and give her belly kisses. Edith soon figured out that biting would not make SQ go away. :giggle:

On the other hand, Edith could be sneaky; she'd sneak up on me and bite my toe during out time. Once she was sitting on my shoulder and bit my neck. Those times she was reacting to my smelling of other rats. With my Stella, who has nipped and bitten me a couple of times (never does it to anybody else!), it was in reaction to me smelling like "enemy" rats. I now wash my hands thoroughly before I touch her, and that seems to do the trick.

Vernie said:
If I’m not able to rehabilitate this rat, he will be euthanized by the humane society. They cannot release an animal for adoption if it has any type of known aggression, even if there is someone happy to take the rat in. Unfortunately, accepting the rat for a biter and “not intruding” in the rat’s space is not a viable solution to the problem.

What about finding him a proper rescue/person that is willing to work with him long term and not kill him? There are many experienced people out there for biters. He definitely can't go to an unexperienced home and probably will never be able to.

Viable for who? the rat? I've had rats with cage aggression and they had a very good life, a loving life with rat buddies, cuddles and proper care.

Do you have him intro'd to your other rats or is he still alone? This could be causing most of his fear aggression. Some rats unhinge when not with buddies, but can be rehabbed when they have companions.

Have you put a piece of cloth near your body all day and then put it in his cage to get used to your smell being around but not "hurting" him or going away?

How is he when you offer the back of your hand, not the tasty and bitable fingers?

jorats said:
Vernie said:

What about finding him a proper rescue/person that is willing to work with him long term and not kill him? There are many experienced people out there for biters. He definitely can't go to an unexperienced home and probably will never be able to.

Viable for who? the rat? I've had rats with cage aggression and they had a very good life, a loving life with rat buddies, cuddles and proper care.

As she stated, the Humane Society will not release the rat to anyone if he's still aggressive, regardless of the owner's abilities and experience. Knowing that he's aggressive and being willing to work with him isn't an option for an adopter, according to the HS. Many US Humane Societies have rules like this, that if an animal shows *any* sign of aggression, behavioral problems, etc.. they'll be euthanized if foster/staff can't rehab them within a set amount of time. It's not a viable option because the HS will not accept that.

I know at our shelter each case is individual....we never want to put an animal down. Last year we had a beautiful German Shepherd dog who was to smart for his own good....he found the shelter stressful and he did not show well to strangers......he had shown aggression to strangers and bit a person who attempted to pat him during an introduction....small bit ,didn't break the skin but he was scheduled to be euthanized....because I am the "dog" person I convinced the board to let me place him from my home and found him the "perfect home"....a search and rescue handler...who was looking for a new friend and partner......This dog know has the best life and is a wonderful steady partner......just needed to be put on the right path.....
So hopefully if a rat savvy person came a long and wanted to take this guy in they would give him a go........
I do understand why they can not or do not want to place animals who are aggressive....the public must be kept safe but still if the person wants to try and knows 100% what they are getting in for they should be allowed to try....just my opinion.

jorats said:
Vernie said:

Like I said, the Humane Society that I work with will not let any animals out of their care with known aggression issues, even if a prospective owners available.

There have been a few dogs that I work with who have had aggression problems and have been perfectly fine with me after a bit of training. However, as soon as they growled at another volunteer or staff member, nipped a at a prospective owner, or didn't do very well on certain portions of the SAFER test they were euthanized by the shelter. I have even offered to foster or adopt a certain number of these dogs for the purposes of rehabilitation, but it's always been denied. From what my mentor at the shelter says, that's rather common. She's worked with them for years training and evaluating their dogs and many who have had potential homes lined up for not-so-fantastic dogs have been put down because of their "aggressive temperament."

The euthanasia is not my idea at all and I would love to find him a home (even my own) that would accept him for who he is or be willing to work with him, but the humane society will not let him go.

Godmother said:
Many people find that making a high-pitched "Eeek!" noise when they nip or bite is a good signal. Javakittie, Lilspaz68, Jorats, SQ and Linda are all very experienced with handling biters, so you may get some more good suggestions. Good luck!

I remember SQ's approach to my Edith, who was a biter to the end.... though she was really good with SQ. When she bit, SQ would grab her and give her belly kisses. Edith soon figured out that biting would not make SQ go away. :giggle:

On the other hand, Edith could be sneaky; she'd sneak up on me and bite my toe during out time. Once she was sitting on my shoulder and bit my neck. Those times she was reacting to my smelling of other rats. With my Stella, who has nipped and bitten me a couple of times (never does it to anybody else!), it was in reaction to me smelling like "enemy" rats. I now wash my hands thoroughly before I touch her, and that seems to do the trick.

Merlin is doing a little better now that he's in with the other boys. I woke up this morning to find him and my bully rat snuggled up together in an igloo. I was able to reach my hand in to pet the bully rat, but I didn't make a go for Merlin - I'm not feeling so hot and I don't want another bite just yet.

I tried to get my partner to make the eek noise, but he can't hear it properly and so it sounds really funny. I usually use his hand because his skin is far rougher and less easily puncture than mine. I'll work with him a bit later and see if the eek does any good... but it's so terribly undignified! ;)

Unfortunately, I've never heard of a cage aggressive rat ever become docile without a neuter and/or very long term help.
This must be so hard on you as well. I can't imagine having to give this fella back and knowing how he will end up.

I can understand their policies....as a humane society you must also protect the public who are counting on you to only adopt out safe pets......the majority of people are not equipped to handle problems...and could be hurt through their ignorance.....

Also with such a large number of animals looking for homes and the limited amount of time and resources to spend on rehabilitation it is not possible to save them all....it is just one of the sad facts of working in a shelter....
:sad3:

lilspaz68 said:
Do you have him intro'd to your other rats or is he still alone? This could be causing most of his fear aggression. Some rats unhinge when not with buddies, but can be rehabbed when they have companions.

Have you put a piece of cloth near your body all day and then put it in his cage to get used to your smell being around but not "hurting" him or going away?

How is he when you offer the back of your hand, not the tasty and bitable fingers?

I introduced him to my boys and that's going very well. There was a bit of a scuffle with my bully boy which I expected. Wilson was neutered because of unprovoked really odd rat-rat aggression about three months ago. I later adopted another rat, Phineas, who has recently become cage alpha and Wilson just won't let it go! He won't let anyone into the cage without showing that, even with no testes, he's still macho. :) Merlin is doing a little better with the boys. At least he seems less twitchy to me.

We're working on the piece of cloth technique now.

Merlin is kind of equal-opportunity on biting. The other day I had the side of my arm near his igloo he took a nip out of it. One thing that I was wondering is if maybe he's incapable of mouthing like other rats do. What I mean is sometimes my boys will take my fingers in their mouth either because I'm wet, taste like food, or they miss the treat I'm offering. When I had my foster out on the bed for free-range time, he tried to take a bite out of my leg. However, his approach reminded me of what the other boys do when first encountering something new - the tentative steps forward, sniff sniff sniff, then a slow extension of the head and opening of the mouth before the nip. He's also doing that more when we put fingers near his igloo where his original bites were far more quick and classically defensive.

Dahlas said:
I know at our shelter each case is individual....we never want to put an animal down. Last year we had a beautiful German Shepherd dog who was to smart for his own good....he found the shelter stressful and he did not show well to strangers......he had shown aggression to strangers and bit a person who attempted to pat him during an introduction....small bit ,didn't break the skin but he was scheduled to be euthanized....because I am the "dog" person I convinced the board to let me place him from my home and found him the "perfect home"....a search and rescue handler...who was looking for a new friend and partner......This dog know has the best life and is a wonderful steady partner......just needed to be put on the right path.....
So hopefully if a rat savvy person came a long and wanted to take this guy in they would give him a go........
I do understand why they can not or do not want to place animals who are aggressive....the public must be kept safe but still if the person wants to try and knows 100% what they are getting in for they should be allowed to try....just my opinion.

I'm totally with you there!

Vernie said:
I tried to get my partner to make the eek noise, but he can't hear it properly and so it sounds really funny. I usually use his hand because his skin is far rougher and less easily puncture than mine. I'll work with him a bit later and see if the eek does any good... but it's so terribly undignified! ;)

I honestly think that's part of the shock value of it. For one, they don't expect you to "talk" to them, and the wholly undignified response is so similar to what another rat would do that it's takes them a moment to take it all in. I found Tully responded very well to lots of soothing, calm talk before I tried to do anything with her. I'd talk out each action before I did anything and as I was doing it. Her thing was always being able to know exactly where I was, so lots of slow moving and soft talk. She was my trial of patience, but her little victories were so very rewarding.

Given he's progressing nicely now that he's in with your boys, I think he should start making really noticeable progress from here. Letting him know that you won't hurt him, reinforcing the Good Stuff, should hopefully go smoothly as he feels more and more secure. It may be his tentative nips now are more to just see what happens than any real aggression on his part. Or maybe becoming more of something along those lines now that he's feeling more secure. Tully would nip my back when I sat on the floor with her, and I seriously think she just liked to hear me squeal.

You may find that, even once he stops biting on a regular basis, that he will do it once in a blue moon if startled. My Corrie started off as a biter because of the awful situation she was rescued from. She was victim of a snake owner who would push her out of the way with a stick so that he could get her babies to feed the snake. :(

Under SQ's loving care she became the sweetest pet you could ever ask for but, every once in a while, a sudden movement in the cage (e.g., if I put anything into the cage that reminded her of a stick) would trigger one of her lunge/bite reactions. it was much milder than at the beginning, and she would never bite under any other circumstances.

Linda does a really great "Eeek" noise; she makes it high-pitched and drawn out a bit. i am a natural eeker, but mine is loud and fast. We should get Linda to do an on-line tutorial!!

Since moving him into the big boy cage with my three other rats and continuing the techniques I was using before, Merlin has become a super-squish! His biting has completely disappeared. Now when I put my hand in his igloo and try to pet him when he doesn't want it, he'll pin my finger with his head and make the 'GOD, woman! Please go away - I'm napping!" face.

He still explores the world through his mouth, but Merlin is far gentler about it than he was. He can even be hand fed, but we haven’t yet been brave enough to try soft foods that need to be licked off a digit. He’s become a little more comfortable with handling and will occasionally hide in my cleavage. Silly thing.

The director of the humane society knows about his situation and his progress and has enthusiastically agreed that I may list him as a "special needs" rat who is unsuitable for a home with small children. (Naturally, he’d be ok with small children who weren’t little monsters. The trick is just finding them.) :)

Thanks for all the advice and support!

So glad to hear he's made such a turn around!! It's so very rewarding when the biters and such make the connection and become sweet bubs. Congrats and I hope you and the HS are able to find him a really great home!

javakittie said:
So glad to hear he's made such a turn around!! It's so very rewarding when the biters and such make the connection and become sweet bubs. Congrats and I hope you and the HS are able to find him a really great home!

My partner has been pretty vocal and keeps dropping hints to me: "Do you want to adopt Merlin?" "Are you SURE you don't want to adopt Merlin?" "Man, Merlin seems really happy here. In our home. With the other boys."

Don't tell anyone, but part of me is secretly hoping no one wants the challenge of caring for him. Then I'll get to keep the squish all to myself!

Back