If not URI, what might my rat have?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi_theratgirl

Hi all!
My rat Banksy (if you know the artist, this is a hilarious name), has had URIs and been on antibiotics last year a few time. He started having symptoms again this past month. He would get congested and noisy. One night, he was gasping, and I have a little thing that creates steam for the purposes of clearing congestion, so I place him in a box with a comfy blanket witht he steam for ten minutes and it helped him. I gave him some anitbiotics. I called the vet that week, but he seemed to be doing better the next day so I waited. But as the days went on, he would get congestion again. He had a vet appointment scheduled for today. Last night and this morning he was fine. The vet said that his lungs were clear and he was healthy. Tonight, he has congestion again and breathing noisy. I know that rats are prone to chronic URIs. Considering the fact that his lungs were fine this morning, but he is congested, could it be something else, like an allergy? I left a message with the vet, but I'm curious to know your experiences.

What antibiotics are you using, how long do you give them each time?
Its possible he has nasal congestion rather than lung involvement, its often noisy, sounds like an outboard motor at times.
With the gasping can you rule out choking?
Also, can you upload a video.of him and his breathing sounds onto something like youtube then copy/paste the link here?

Back