I wasn’t sure where to post this

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rat-a-tata

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately my little girl Twitch became really poorly earlier this evening and I think she may be suffering from a pituitary tumour (thank you SQ for the advice!) I’m taking her to the vets tomorrow but for the time being I have separated her from her sister - Poppy, as Twitch is very weak and I’m worried about her getting hurt by mistake - could anybody offer any advice on if that is the right decision? I know they will miss each other.

I’m hoping this won’t be the case but if I do have to have Twitch put to sleep at the vets would Poppy be ok on her own for a week before I introduce her to new cage mates or is that too long? Financially I cannot afford the newest members of the family until then after vets bills

I would leave them together, personally. Twitch will let poppy know if she is being too bouncy or rough. It's stressful for both of them to be together, and you'll find they are really empathetic towards each other. When one of my rats is sick or injured, I ALWAYS keep a buddy with them. Hopefully you get good news tomorrow. Keep us updated!

Thank you! I’ve just woken up and she doesn’t seem any worse! Going to put her back in with her sister now. I’ll keep you updated

Sorry for so many questions but would you leave yours together overnight? I’ve been reading about one cage mate eating the other once one passes away? People are saying it’s a part of their nature but I would like to avoid it if possible but obviously I will do whatever is best for them both.

It's not very common for a rat to "clean" the area after a death. I've had over 300 rats and it never happened. I always leave the rats together and I've had plenty leave this world while surrounded by their buddies.

I always leave rats in with their friends as it helps them.
Separating rats causes stress and can make them worse

While cleaning up after a rat dies so predators are not attracted is natural and normal,
like Jorats I too have had hundreds of rats over the last 14.5 years and have never had this happen

Many rats with pt have improved greatly with meds, it just depends on the type of pt and how fast it is growing

If you decide to have Twitch put to sleep, you will need to make sure it is done properly.
Most vets do not know how to do it humanely. You will need to ask questions, be her advocate, tell the vet how you want it to be done, and be present if possible. Some vets will allow you to hold her.

The procedure: The rattie is given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery, when unconscious the vet will test for eye and toe reflexes (gently pinch the toes). When she is unconscious to at least a surgical level, then she will be injected (unusually into the abdomen or liver), the rat is kept unconscious wit the gas/oxygen mix until dead. She will stop breathing and after awhile her heart will stop. The vet will check to see if her heart has stopped and when it has will check a second time after several minutes. The brain stays active for minutes after the heart has stopped.
A conscious rat must never be injected in the heart - this is so cruel it is illegal in some places.
I always take my rats home so they friends can say goodbye, then I eventually have them cremated and their ashes returned.

I am very sorry that this is happening to both of you

Last edited:
Thank you so much all for your kind words and advice. Sorry for the delayed reply, unfortunately Twitch has crossed the rainbow bridge last Sunday night, she took a turn for the worse and I had to take her to the emergency vets. Poppy has two new cage mates - Moo & Lilly. Both 10 weeks old and settling in well with their big sister.

Attachments

• AEDFF573-AE3F-4A44-9640-2A3D2E090906.png
    AEDFF573-AE3F-4A44-9640-2A3D2E090906.png
    280.9 KB · Views: 116
  • C75C7A41-2FD1-4EA0-A453-3528AE89D40C.png
    C75C7A41-2FD1-4EA0-A453-3528AE89D40C.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 117
Back