I Took Her Home on a Friday, so I Named Her Friday… and Then I Lost Her on a Wednesday

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When night falls I’ll see you in the stars. When day breaks I’ll see you in the clouds. When I sleep I’ll see you in my dreams. You will forever be in my heart and memories ❤️

This morning, at barely five months old, my baby girl Friday gained her wings. She passed away in my arms shortly after returning home from her vet visit. She had been very lethargic yesterday so we took her to get checked out, but the vet couldn’t pinpoint the problem with my little girl. This morning we immediately rushed her to the vet the moment we noticed her breathing had suddenly become labored, and she refused to eat a cucumber that was offered, worrying that she hadn’t left her bed to hydrate at all last night. Through a series of x-rays the vet finally surmised that it was a severe lower respiratory illness to which she gave us medication, as well as powdered food that you mix with water and feed through a syringe when she heard my Friday wasn’t eating. The vet even went as far as to put my little Day through a procedure involving a humidifier to help open her bronchial. I took my baby home and managed to get her to eat the liquid food, but while I was sitting with her she started making this clicking noise with her mouth. I immediately looked at her mouth and ears to make sure they weren’t turning blue, and to my relief they weren’t. Afterwards, I started to suspect she might’ve been choking but when I checked her chin was dry. The clicking noise eventually escalated, becoming louder, and before long my baby was tossing her head backwards and opening her mouth really wide. That was when I realized her sides weren’t moving. My baby had stopped breathing. She was desparately gasping for air. I held her tight but I knew that I wouldn’t make it to the vets office in time, so I just watched as she stumbled and fell and before long my baby stopped moving on me. I am at least taking solace in the fact that I did all I possibly could and I was able to be with her and hold her in my arms in her final moments.

My little Friday was the sweetest and most rambunctious little girl I have ever had the pleasure of loving. She was so smart and curious about everything to the point that she drove me crazy most of the time… But it’s those moments that I would take back in a heartbeat if I could. I will certainly miss walking by the cage and watching her pounce at the cage doors and try to latch onto me through the bars. I miss her so much to the point that it hurts.

I remember when I first picked you out in that little tank, you were so small and your heart was as big as your ears! You were much too young to be separated from your mother, so we had to nurse you and your sisters and brother. I remember when I took you out of that carrier to introduce you to your new home, but rather than explore with your siblings you preferred to just sit on my leg and guard it, pushing your siblings off and making them squeak if they wandered onto me. You were so full of energy, always causing mischief with your sister and bestest friend, Benny. Nevertheless, you were such a good girl, Friday. Although it was such a short time you spent on this Earth, I’m glad you spent it with me. I’m so grateful to have met you, and I’m so glad I got to be your mommy and love you. I’m going to miss you, but I know you’ll be in good company with our other boy, Oz. You’ll know him when you see him (he’s the fat little agouti). Take care of each other and give cuddles from me and Ozzy’s mommy! I love you, baby (more than you probably know)! Keep playing hard baby girl! You will forever be in my memories and heart, as I’m sure I will be in yours The pictures are from when I first got her at 3 weeks, and this morning a few hours before she passed away.

Friday, June 2019 - November 20, 2019

Attachments

• 3085096C-C98C-477B-82DA-9B5D43F9C012.jpeg
    3085096C-C98C-477B-82DA-9B5D43F9C012.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 134
  • F0951589-40A8-4188-9E4F-2C9F5CF22DCC.jpeg
    F0951589-40A8-4188-9E4F-2C9F5CF22DCC.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 128
Back