I think I've got a pregnant rat!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update! I hope nobody gets tired of me posting these - I'm so excited to share ^_^ I can see their markings a lot better today, and none of them appear to be a solid colour. I think they are going to be mostly white/cream with fawn markings like their mom. It is making me curious about what the babies from Izabella's sister Valeriya will end up looking like as she's mostly fawn with a white belly...a very big belly that is definitely full of babies!

bDnojMI.jpg

Okay, some where I missed that you ended up with another prego, but not surprised. I was so excited when mine where pretty beige hooded babies since I have mostly black hooded. Then around week 8 or so someone stole their pretty hoods and stripes and turned them into siamese babies - LOL oh well, they are still aborable. My black ones from this litter turned a dark gray. My point is - you might not get what you see now... I posted daily pics so therr is no such thing as too many cute rattie pics..

The pet store I got the pregnant girls from may have finally learned a few things - they finally separated the sexes so that there shouldn't be any more pregnant rats being sold! I told them to not put the females out for sale until they could be sure that none were pregnant because not everybody is like me and quite happy with baby rats or has much experience with rats. I can only imagine how a young kid or the parent of said kid would react to suddenly having a bunch of babies!

This post will be bigger than previous ones...I got lots of pics! The babies' markings have all come in and are much easier to take pictures of now :) And they're already starting to show their personalities, which is something I hadn't expected quite yet LOL

Here are all the fuzzbutts curled up in my skirt:
MKh4LHW.jpg

Now for a bunch of individuals - there are more individuals than there are babies, but this is due to trying to get decent shots of them all. Not an easy task with a bunch of little ones that want to explore!
fkBzJeI.jpg
7g2n9oN.jpg
EnHhua5.jpg
6P9vRwk.jpg

nGLzl84.jpg
0XGYoHE.jpg
9yQuf7k.jpg
gmkrqLb.jpg
oJQqzfk.jpg
98Ui1vg.jpg

And a final group shot as they curl back up in their nest!
uQ2QIzG.jpg

So chubbalicious! Well done for telling the morons at the pet store. Gah, it really should be common sense! I wish they'd have more consideration for the animals. I dread to think how babies and pregnant mothers might have been dealt with once customers get them home. It really puts the animals at risk and the adopters in tricky situations. I'm glad the new mother got someone as fantastic as you! Jackpot!

They're so cute. I love their shiny fur and rolls of baby fat. Amazing how quick they grow.

And today Izabella's sister Valeriya had her bubs. Ten of the little eepers. This brings the rattie population in my place up to 24...oh man.

xwAJxqZ.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, adorable babies! I wonder what Valeriya's babies will look like. Izabella's are SO precious.

Valeriya's babies have a fine sheen of fur now and they are so soft! They look like they'll have darker fur than Izabella's babies - I can't wait to see!

iLgDdFM.jpg

Here are some videos!
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Izabella and her babies will be moving to a bigger cage tomorrow because the babies have outgrown the nursery cage!

I give both momma rats time away from their babies and put them in with my other female rat (Audrey) so they can have some adult time and so that when it's time to move the moms back in together it will go so much smoother. One question I do have is how long does it usually take before babies are fully weened? Bella's babies have started drinking a bit from the water bottle and eating a bit of regular food which means they aren't quite as reliant on their mom's milk, but I don't want to take them away too early.

I definitely don't want anymore babies at this point, so five weeks it is. I love the little cuties, but they certainly weren't something I had planned on. I've got cages ready to separate the sexes and when they're big enough I'll do intros with the adults, and go from there. My eventual goal is to get a couple of CNs (probably doubles) for everyone to have plenty of space, and then downsize the number of other cages I have. And then go on a decorating spree, although that is nothing new LOL

Here's last night's pic of Valeriya's babies :)

MrRPFYY.jpg

I realized last night as I was scrubbing cages and moving rats around that I am in need of another cage that has about a 1/4" spacing between the bars so babies can't get out...so that means I'll be on the search for a new cage, even if it if is just new to me. I've got spare cages that are ideal for adults but the spacing between the bars is too far apart. Oh well, such is life.

Back