I think I'm officially a RatMum now.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokenBlinkie

Currently being tamed by 4 rats. ☺🐀🐀🐀🐀
I've posted a couple of threads here in the forum about my past few weeks/months handrearing 4 rats, so, please feel free to nosy at the threads to get acquainted with the saga!

I would like to start with a Huge THANKYOU to everyone who has commented on the threads I've posted with their advice, opinions and help.

Anyway, It looks like the 3 boys are going to be staying with me (well, not at my house because it's already got many pets, they will be living at my workplace where they can have lots of attention and I can control their environment better).

We are currently searching for a ratty home for the girl, because I understand that it is bad for rats to live alone.
We actually separated the girl from the boys, and she didn't eat or drink for around 24 hours. The only vet in a travelling distance that deals with rats has advised against neutering the girl as the operation would be too risky.

I'm asking for lots of advice on how I can give these rats the best life I can.

Bedding, Food, Treats, the whole everything. I'm completely new to this, and want to do my best for them.

The current cage is 1metre×80cmx60cm, I've enclosed a photo of it.
In a few weeks I am going to buy another of these same cages and join them both together to make a bigger cage.

There are 2 water bottles and 2 water bowls, 4 food bowls, 2 large wheels, 2 beds made out of cat food boxes and a large triple level hammock.

So...come on...bring me your wisdom!

Thankyou again.
20220610_143420.jpg

Last edited:
They usually like the hammock, or the little boxes on the bottom layer. I'm buying another cage exactly the same as the one in the photo so that I can join the cages together to make a bigger one.

Since my last post, they have more toys - In the cage at moment they have the triple layer hammock, 2x corner hammocks, 2x large wheels, 2xDangling fruit & Seed sticks, 1x large ice cream shaped nibbler, 1 willow, flower and seed dangling toy, a hanging nibbling mobile, and a gnawing log that also has seeds, fruits, grasses and veg compressed into and onto it. Oh and a mineral block.

Back