I think Aerie is crossing the bridge today

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UhHuhHer

My little sister took in a guinea pig in need a few months ago. Aerie has been a very sweet and strange girl. She has been in poor health since we got her, but her past few months have been happy and relatively healthy ones, complete with the first piggy friends she's ever had, in my sisters two other guinea pigs.

This morning, Katie called me sobbing and I rushed home to be with her. Aerie has had a stroke. The vet gave her a steroid and told us that, in the next day or so, we might have some hard choices to make. We hoped maybe she would be able to bounce back, but we were told at the vet that she probably won't recover.

It's been two hours, and I think Aerie is ready to pass on. We have her bundled up on a heat pad, and are sitting with her and stroking her and telling her goodbye. She is limp now. She breathes shallowly and periodically gasps a little. If she's still here later today, we'll take her to the vet again, to help her along, but I think she'll have crossed the bridge very soon.

Please send some kind thoughts our way, for us and for little Aerie. She's been a tough little lady, and she's finally ready to rest.

Last edited:
Thank you. She is gone now. We laid her down in her cage with her blanket for a nap, told her goodbye, and when I came back in a few minutes later to make sure she was still warm enough, she had passed on. We had suspected that she might want some privacy, and it looks like that's what she was waiting for. I wrapped her in her blanket and she's in a separate cage next to her friends' cage. She looks like she just closed her eyes and died.

Back