I need help with medicine dosing for my rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zeph

Hey! I recently adopted two rats unaware they had respiratory infections. I have doxysyrup and 250 mg fishmox. I've been trying to follow dosage charts and ratguide, but i cant wrap my head around it. Please help, thank you.

1) Can you tell us what symptoms you are seeing? This will help us determine the severity of the illness
2) How old are your new rats?
3) The doxysyrup is Doxyvet? (50 mg/ml)
4) We would need fairly accurate weights to help you figure out mixing and dosing for them

Need their weights. Or at very least, photos and descriptions. And I wouldn't worry about fishmox, that is for secondary infection. Unless you are worried they have complications with their Myco. You can get Baytril from Jedds.com, as well as Lady Gouldianfinch.com

1) Can you tell us what symptoms you are seeing? This will help us determine the severity of the illness
2) How old are your new rats?
3) The doxysyrup is Doxyvet? (50 mg/ml)
4) We would need fairly accurate weights to help you figure out mixing and dosing for them

1) My hairless clicks when he breathes, and when I let him out for free roam it escalated and started getting extremely loud. My rex doesnt have the clicking when he breathes, but sneezes a ton. So does my hairless. I'm scared this spread to my other rats because they havent really had issues with sneezing since their last treatment but it's started back up again with them as well.
2) My hairless is 7 weeks old and my rex is 6 weeks
3)
6e14b1a9-efd2-48a5-a8b0-cfd066548cd6_zpscf08882c.jpg

4) I dont have a scale I can weigh them with right now but I can go buy one.

Need their weights. Or at very least, photos and descriptions. And I wouldn't worry about fishmox, that is for secondary infection. Unless you are worried they have complications with their Myco. You can get Baytril from Jedds.com, as well as Lady Gouldianfinch.com

I think mine are too young for baytril, but I will buy a scale.

You mentioned their last treatment? How long have you had them and were they sick before? If so, what antibiotics were used and for how long?

I took my three that I had before the new rats to the vet awhile back because I was worried about them. The vet had them on baytril and doxycycline for a couple of weeks. I would take my new ones but I can't afford a vet bill like that right now.

Just to make you feel better, contagious rat viruses are not the norm at all, but definitely can happen. But it sounds like you have had these new rats for a couple of weeks? By now, if they had been in the same airspace, any virus would've made your other rats sick. Mostly respiratory flareups are myco-related and more to do with the strength of the immune system of each rat.

Just to make you feel better, contagious rat viruses are not the norm at all, but definitely can happen. But it sounds like you have had these new rats for a couple of weeks? By now, if they had been in the same airspace, any virus would've made your other rats sick. Mostly respiratory flareups are myco-related and more to do with the strength of the immune system of each rat.

Yes! I've had the new guys for about a week or two. I do need to treat them thought, right? and if so once I get a scale, would you mind helping me with doses and all?

Absolutely I will help with your mixing and dosing.
Honestly thank you so much. I get paid on thursday and will have to order some things online so it will be a bit. Do you know of anything that will help hold them over until their stuff comes? They're eating and drinking and not being very lethargic but I know rats hide pain well.

Pain some rats hide, illness not so much. It sounds more like nasal congestion which is less serious for now.

Hey! I'm really sorry for bothering you so much, but I do have another question. When I get paid I'm gonna get some things off jedds, do you have any reccomended meds for their condition, or any reccomendtions for meds if it were to get worse?

I checked Jedd's site and their Doxyvet is out of stock. So you should order from Ladygouldianfinch.com instead.

Get the Doxyvet and the Enrofloxacin 10% for your rats :)

also look for 1 cc/ml medicating syringes IF you don't have any on hand.

I checked Jedd's site and their Doxyvet is out of stock. So you should order from Ladygouldianfinch.com instead.

Get the Doxyvet and the Enrofloxacin 10% for your rats :)

Okay! Will do. Also, are you sure the enrofolaxin won't hurt my younger rats? I don't know if I'm misinformed, but I've heard it's not good for younger rats.

also look for 1 cc/ml medicating syringes IF you don't have any on hand.

Both doxy and enrofloxacin are both NOT-pediatric friendly but since these little guys are going to have to wait for awhile to start treatment I'd rather not try the ped-friendly antibiotics and have them not work. I only use ped-friendly with very mild cases and have used both doxy and baytril on babies before. With these guys you can just use the enrofloxacin if they aren't too sick, but its good to get the doxy just in case you need it.

Both doxy and enrofloxacin are both NOT-pediatric friendly but since these little guys are going to have to wait for awhile to start treatment I'd rather not try the ped-friendly antibiotics and have them not work. I only use ped-friendly with very mild cases and have used both doxy and baytril on babies before. With these guys you can just use the enrofloxacin if they aren't too sick, but its good to get the doxy just in case you need it.

Okay thank you so much. I'll reply with all of their weights and everything once it all gets here.

And you WILL undoubtedly eventually need it, lol. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to have a couple of those rare rats which are resilient against Myco and are not too afflicted by flare-ups. I have had a few rats who never showed any symptoms their whole lives, but these are definitely the exception, not the norm.

Hi! I know it's been awhile, but I finally got everything. I just finished weighing them!

Emolga: 447 g
Pikachu: 426 g
Pachirisu: 365 g
Shaymin: 237 g
Mew: 365 g

My rats hate being picked up, so weighing them was incredibly difficult.

Back