I need help idk what to do!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, so I read your post and yes, she has a URI. But it's not a mild case, it is a severe, end of life situation IMO. Your final sentence says a lot. When they get to the point where they have to hold their head up and prop it up on something, it's because they can not get in enough oxygen and are trying to straighten out their airways to facilitate their breathing. Unfortunately, this symptom has ALWAYS been end of life and you need to bring her in to be put to sleep. PLEASE take this advice, I have fostered rats for years and I've seen it too many times to care to admit, since this is often the result of the rat not getting proper care throughout it's life. With my rats, it's die to their prior life before they came to me as I treat them at the first inkling of a URI, but it's often too late because the damage is done. Anyway, please don't let her suffer in distress, soon she will get worse and open mouth gasp, and you do NOT want to be holding her as she freaks out and siffocates to death.

I am so sorry :( I think you did really well taking care of them, sometimes health issues with rats are just inevitable. For future reference, the vet you went to initially should be able to fill a prescription without needing a 2nd visit. So if this happens with your other girl, just know that you shouldn't have to take her twice. I would've called and demanded baytril and doxy.
But it seems to me that you made her as comfortable as possible and that is great. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help sooner
I think you should look into finding the other girl a friend aswell (petco and petsmart are awful choices and their rats are likely to get sick, I suggest finding a rescue or checking out rehoming facebook pages) :)
I understand how you feel but unfortunately, this rat was beyond treatment. She was already gone when she started propping her head up. This is an EOL sign that is not going to respond to any treatment. The best plan is always euthanasia at this point. Unfortunately, they likely never received any care from a vet, and this girl did a great job trying to help the rat, I only wish the vet was more experienced with pet rats. I mean, I didn't even have to see the rat, the post's final sentence was all I needed to give the advice to euthanize.

Just saw that she passed in you hands. Let me guess, prior to passing she suddenly became very erratic and frantically raced around. That was her final attempt to find a way to survive, unfortunately it has the opposite effect, and she needed even more oxygen because of her activity, which then caused her to suffocate. I know you were glad she was comforted by you in her final moments, but for future reference, do not wait one second when you see her showing signs of distress like this, immediately bring them in for a quick, distress ending and loving procedure. Also, never do the 2 injections method, always euthanize by gas and 1 injection. Please accept my condolences, she is now in a pain free, gasping free, distress free place.

I understand how you feel but unfortunately, this rat was beyond treatment. She was already gone when she started propping her head up. This is an EOL sign that is not going to respond to any treatment. The best plan is always euthanasia at this point. Unfortunately, they likely never received any care from a vet, and this girl did a great job trying to help the rat, I only wish the vet was more experienced with pet rats. I mean, I didn't even have to see the rat, the post's final sentence was all I needed to give the advice to euthanize.
Also for future reference, you can totally skip the expensive vet visit and buy antibiotics online. A couple sites I use are....

Jedds.com
or
Ladygouldianfinch.com

Choosing the best items is important, good luck.

Thank you Renee I will have to look into it more. I know she will need a buddy and just wondering should I get a younger rat or a older rat if I am to need one. And is there any video that you recommend to introduce rats to eachother
IMO I would get a younger rat because they're easier to introduce :)
I think there are many ways to do introductions but here's how I do it:
1. You are supposed to quarantine the new rat for 2 weeks in case of any illness or diseases she has. I keep each cage in a separate room.
2. After the 2 weeks, I put the cage in the same room so they can get used to eachothers smell
3. You can start switching things out between cages, such as trading hammocks or bedding.
4. Within a few days, I switch their cages. Sometimes I see rats puffing up their fur when in the new rats cage, this is just a sign that they recognize there is a new rat and they are not happy about it, which is why introductions need to be slow.
5. I allow my rats to meet on a neutral ground such as a bathtub. I lay a towel down and put treats and toys everywhere.
6. Keep repeating 5 until they are completely okay with each other. You are not supposed to break up fights unless there is blood because rats have a natural hierarchy system and need to establish it. If the fight happens to be bad and with blood, break it up with a towel, not your hand.
7. When the rats are happy with each other, I allow them to meet in my normal play time area and I see how they do. If it's not good, I let them meet again in the bathtub.
8. Eventually your rats will be okay with each others existence and will be able to coexist in the same cage :)

Keep in mind this is just what I do and many other people have other things to say

I completely agree with you here, I was just noting for a future reference in case it happens with another rat :)
As for purchasing medicine online, I only just recently learned you could do that (I just got my first meds from Jedds in yesterday). I think this is a great idea, and that people should definitely order some in advance in case a problem comes across in the future. If the problem is current and they have no meds, I would suggest taking to the vet because they can get them instantly rather than waiting days for shipment (and we all know waiting can be fatal).

I have had a rat bounce back from a URI at the point you talk about (laying their head on things) but she definitely had lung scarring afterwards. She lived happily and comfortably for about 4 more months until the URI unfortunately came back, didn't respond well to antibiotics, and progressed into pneumonia. I do agree, however, that at the point where they lay their head on things to get air, they are suffering and the best option is to be put to rest.

Back