I need help idk what to do!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolypop

Due to the quarantine of schools my teacher need to turn to someone who loved that class pets. I was one of them I brought home two rats Athena and Banena. After a week of silence I noticed Banena had been breathing harder and sneezing and other things were different she was a little less active but she was still eating and drinking. I did lots of research and stayed up late reading over pages and pages of websites to see if I can exactly pinpoint what was wrong with her. Eventually I was convinced she had an upper respiratory infection so I called a few vets I had known and talked my cats and dogs to and one did not care for rats but the second one did so I scheduled a appointment and brought Banena in the vets were leaning to upper respiratory infection too so we put her on an antibiotic (not sure what it was called). I fed it to her every morning and night for a week and she was doing much better. But a week and a half later she was sneezing and breathing heavily again but not as bad the vets recommend put her in the bathroom with a humidifier as I remembered more of what they recommend. That has been working but it is getting worse I feel. Today was different I have been noticing she is getting skinny and she was still eating but today she has not ate at all. Today I brought her outside she like to be in the warm sun and after 15 minutes I brought her back inside and did my usual grab a treat and give it to her but she did not take it. I held it out in front of her but she did not take it. After a while I tried again but still no and I have seen her laying around her head over the edge of one of her ledges.

Things I have taken into consideration

-she is not eating
-drinking very little
-heavy breathing
-sneezing
-red spots from sneezing in her nest
-cold feet and tail( I wonder if it’s just the temperature in my room it is colder but even Athena has cold feet but very healthy)
-skinny
-it was always loud in class so I did not know exactly when symptoms started
-It has been a little over a month since I brought her to the vet
-has white inside her eye idk if she is going blind in one eye
- idk her age but I am pretty sure she is full sized and maybe over a year old
-using the humidifier every day
-going to run the space heater every night before I go to bed to see if my room will warm up (my mom recommended that)
- I live no where near a rodent or exotic pet vet (Closest one is in Colorado Springs, Colorado I think that is what the vet I took her to told me I forgot the name of it planning to call them tomorrow BTW I live in Pueblo)

Is there anything I can do or need to do I feel I can do more but I don’t know if I can
-also she is very Skittish when away or out of the cage she pees and poops every where so when I take her out I use a old t-shirt so I don’t get peed on or pooped on idk i you need to know that but I am including everything I know about her

Sorry for the long message and bad grammar I just know more people have had experience with stuff like this than I have.

See if you can find out what medicine you were giving.
Normally you need a combination of antibiotics to cure a respiratory issue.
Definitely supply her with a source of warmth. You can fill a sock with rice and stick it in the microwave and it'll make a great source of heat.
Antibiotics take AT LEAST 6 weeks to cure a respiratory issue. Contact your vet immediately and ask her for Baytril (Enrofloxacin) and doxycycline.
You may have to force feed medicine but that is okay.
Head to the store and pick up an avocado and baby food. Rats love avocados and both can help put on some weight.
I think the sudden change in environment might've caused this.
I have had a rat on the brink of death come back with the proper antibiotics so don't give up hope.
This forums is sometimes hard to get a quick response from but there is a facebook page called All Real Rat Lovers Want To Know and I highly recommend posting there. I wish you luck!
Try offering her an array of different foods, sometimes they will find interest in food then. You may have to syringe feed her baby food.
Is she still grooming herself?

Also, I have heard two sides, some say that humidifiers are great for respiratory issues and some say they make them worse. Maybe someone else can help us figure this out because I am unsure

Also, if you find out what medicine you were giving, post it here and mention what dose you were giving so people can double check it and make sure it was correct

Renee, thank you for the reply I find the humidifier helped her a lot and I am planning on calling the vet as soon as they open as of now I will get the rice bag in the microwave but I will have to keep Athena away from Banena, Athena might steel the sock and I will see i I have any avocados at my house I will be able to go to the store later today most likely. I will also find out the medication I gave her. I will update you more with this soon. Also yes she has stoped grooming herself

The sock helped and I lowered the water bottle and she i drinking from it now I am cutting up a few vegetables she loves veggies so I will do that and be back then I will call the vet and come back with more information

She is slowly but surely eating the the carrots and she move her position when she took the carrot from me

Never mind the last message she stopped. The image shows how much she ate of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 147
Ok I called the clinic and the medicine was called PT liquid Serum or something close to that I called the other vet clinic and they are booked until next week and they recommend that I find another one because she won’t make it if she is not eating. And now I have no idea if there is even another place that specializes with rats and I don’t want to loose my rat I feel like I just got her and i dont Know what I can feed her until I can go to the store I don’t want to loose hope but I sorta am but I’m staying as strong as I can for her and other foods that can last for the day. She is sleeping on the sock right now and I have school work to do I will have to call some places later because I was crying.

Her feet look a little discolored and I can’t get her to eat or drink anything but she is warm now and is a bit more active not much I am keeping her by me wile I do my school work

Go back to the vet you took her to and ask for baytril. Or a combo of baytril and doxy or baytril and Zithromax. Show this page to the vet, and they can look up doses. She needs to be on the meds for at least 4 weeks, but 6 is better.

Www.ratguide.com

Also, cooked sweet potatoes, baby food veggies, her rat blocks soaked in water to make a mush, or you can do organic soy infant formula and mix it with baby rice cereal, so she gets her nutrients and a littke hydration. Keep her with her cagemate so she doesn't become more stressed. The room she's in should be around 67-72 degrees. Watch a video on YouTube of how to syringe meds to a rat, as it's very easy for them to inhale it. Also, if you can, post a video on YouTube of how she's breathing, then copy and paste the link on here. That way, Lilspaz can see how bad things are. She can help with dosages and anything else you may need. Just message her and ask her to see this thread. I hope your baby gets better soon!

It has been hours after this but I am afraid Banena is gone to a better place. Thank you Renee for your help I took all the advice I could but I am just glad she went while in my hands I felt like I could take about it now. I am not old enough to drive and both my parents are at work I could not get her to a vet even now but she decided it was time and Athena was with me and her when she went so she knows. Once again thank you for all your help.

Yep I loved them both so much I was the first one by them every single day and I practically made sitting by there cage my assigned seat Banena did not come out much but Athena did and I am glad that Banena and I when outside yesterday. After this school year I was going to take home the rats and they were going to be my pets so I did not just take them in I owned them when I brought them home.

I am so sorry :( I think you did really well taking care of them, sometimes health issues with rats are just inevitable. For future reference, the vet you went to initially should be able to fill a prescription without needing a 2nd visit. So if this happens with your other girl, just know that you shouldn't have to take her twice. I would've called and demanded baytril and doxy.
But it seems to me that you made her as comfortable as possible and that is great. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help sooner
I think you should look into finding the other girl a friend aswell (petco and petsmart are awful choices and their rats are likely to get sick, I suggest finding a rescue or checking out rehoming facebook pages) :)

Thank you Renee I will have to look into it more. I know she will need a buddy and just wondering should I get a younger rat or a older rat if I am to need one. And is there any video that you recommend to introduce rats to eachother

Back