I need help, I got scammed

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so very sorry that this happened and you are in this position.
Have you talked to a student counsellor, student advisor, etc at the college you attend? They may have some suggestions.

Last edited:
Only advice I have to offer
1. Don't send money that you don't have.

2. Apply for cost of living loan.

3. Find another source of employment.

Only advice I have to offer
1. Don't send money that you don't have.

2. Apply for cost of living loan.

3. Find another source of employment.
I didn't spend money I didn't have, I already have another job, and I live with my parents. I would not have sent my friend money if I didn't have it to spare

I am so very sorry that this happened and you are in this position.
Have you talked to a student counsellor, student advisor, etc at the college you attend? They may have some suggestions.
That's really smart, thank you! I'll be sure to do that

I hope this never happens again, why are the authorities not taking action? They should be the one to protect the people from this kind of scammers

Unfortunately this type of scam has been around for a very looong time. I’ve seen print (magazine newspaper etc) warnings about this sort of thing for years. Usually you hear about it as someone posing to be an elderly persons grandchild. I’d keep an eye out for any “watch out for this scam” stuff in reliable media sources. They usually give suggestions on how to handle it. Sorry I don’t have any such articles at hand to give you their resources right now. Just never send money until you talk to a person in person first, and that goes for any you won $ but you have to send a claim fee first. Or jobs saying you have to pay for something before you are hired. Just be very careful who you send $ to.

Yeah, scammers are everywhere. Just be careful guys.
Facebook is home for scammers getting your details. If you have a FB with any real details about you, I'd close the account and set up a fake one. I am very careful about my online details. I have a FB account under a fake name with NONE of my personal details. Even my birthday isn't on there. I gave a fake b day. YOu gotta be extra careful online

If this guy is a professional scammer I seriously doubt that the name and social he used was real. It's dead simple to set up a fake identity on the internet, and just as easy to photoshop a license. Even getting a physical drivers license is not a difficult task these days as you can just order one from China that comes with holograms and microprinting and everything.

If it is a real person- and he's just a junkie who cared more about getting money than he cared about getting caught- then there are plenty of credit header search services that you can use to get his known addresses. From there there are many possible courses of action, but they really depend on what type of individual you're dealing with. If you're willing to do some recon work you might be able to find a weakness you can exploit.

Two questions- How much time and money are you willing to put into this endeavor? and are you more concerned about getting revenge, or getting your money back?

Facebook is home for scammers getting your details. If you have a FB with any real details about you, I'd close the account and set up a fake one. I am very careful about my online details. I have a FB account under a fake name with NONE of my personal details. Even my birthday isn't on there. I gave a fake b day. YOu gotta be extra careful online
I agree with you - i have one fb account but all personal details are only seen by me. Also be careful with what you post.

Back