I might be getting 2 pet rats soon! Should I put the cage inside the kitchen?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenJaguarZ

I have a picture of where i was going to put it. There is a fire extinguisher near where I was planning to put it but it is very old and I can remove it. I am a bit unsure since there is some plants nearby the planned area and if they somehow got out they could start eating the plants and im nervous about them because I do not know if they are harmful. One of them is a spider plant. So is it a good idea or should I just put the cage in my room? I can also remove the coats as well. (Sorry for bad quality my hands shake alot)

Attachments

• 20201205_125625.jpg
    20201205_125625.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 124
You should put them in a place where they'll see and hear you the most and get lots of interactions with you and family. You can remove plants to other places. Also, and this is important, NO drafts. Never place rats in a place where there are drafts or fans blowing on them. Also, not too much heat. I'd say 70 F is perfect for them, not too hot and not too cold. And finally, don't put them near doors that will open into cold weather so that every time a door is open, they get a draft. That's a no no.
If you intend on having rats, you need to take them out so they can explore in a safe place and interact with you and your family.

You should put them in a place where they'll see and hear you the most and get lots of interactions with you and family. You can remove plants to other places. Also, and this is important, NO drafts. Never place rats in a place where there are drafts or fans blowing on them. Also, not too much heat. I'd say 70 F is perfect for them, not too hot and not too cold. And finally, don't put them near doors that will open into cold weather so that every time a door is open, they get a draft. That's a no no.
If you intend on having rats, you need to take them out so they can explore in a safe place and interact with you and your family.
nice to bumped into this post. Ill move my rat to another place. Thanks for sharing this!

Great to ask questions about cage location - not everyone thinks of that! This location doesn't look ideal with the air vent right their and potential fumes/smoke from cooking in the kitchen. You could cover the vent and move them out of the room when you cook. Rats have very sensitive respiratory systems - no smoke, candles or teflon pans. They like to be with the action so your bedroom would be a good option of you spend a lot of time there!

Back