I know I’ll get **** for asking this

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they will definitely be scared when you start...new scary thing...HANDS...but give them time and they will relax a bit.

These were my spooky boys when I got them home in early December.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/he6dee1el2ljwg5/Dec 7 19 New Baby Boys.jpg?dl=0

These are my relaxed squishes 1.5 months later. They play, bounce, lick etc. Just keep trying gently, and one day the switch will likely turn on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44kzlosdkusjrhj/Jan 19 20 Possum with Bandicoot.jpg?dl=0
Your ratties are adorable! I won’t give up. So great to hear stories like yours :))

I'm so glad you're making baby steps! And ask away. That's what we're here for! I enjoy reading posts like this, where the rattos start out scared, then progress to confident, loving rattos.

Lilspaz, those babies look terrified in the first pic, but almost like they are smiling in the second pic. Much more relaxed eyes for sure!

They are all taking treats from my hand and one even stepped onto my hand to eat which I’m thrilled about. I’m so scared of ruining it! I don’t wanna try and pick them up too early - would I risk taking steps back doing that? Shall I wait until all will sit on my hand to eat?

Attachments

• B9692E22-5AF9-4BF3-9398-2438045FE316.jpeg
    B9692E22-5AF9-4BF3-9398-2438045FE316.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 06999B14-DA80-4FDC-944D-DF4F10B2130C.jpeg
    06999B14-DA80-4FDC-944D-DF4F10B2130C.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 148
As everyone said, they will relax and get to know you as a friend. All the rats I have had over the years have been SPCA rescues. The two males I have right now where seized by the RCMP and SPCA. They found 94 of them in cages that had never been cleaned and very little to eat. The one little male was not in good shape, he hid in the cage for few weeks, then started coming out. Now his favorite place to relax is on my keyboard, which makes it tough to do things. Once they relax some, their personality's will come, each one seems to have different personality just like people do, just give them time.

I adopted 3 little spooky boys from a local shelter. They had been transferred to a PetSmart location but never handled so they bolted from humans. With these guys I did the "down the shirt"method. Long sleeve shirt on the bottom, another looser shirt on top. Tuck both into your pants. Put babies down your shirt and ignore them (I usually lay down and watched TV or read as they cautiously moved around). This gives them the comfort of being covered up, and no hands grabbing at them, but they get used to your Snell and movement at the same time. Over time something clicked and they are sweet young boys who love to come out and play :)
There's all sorts of things you can do. Hand them treats once they are curious enough so they realize you are the bringer of good things, sing to them, etc. Have them out initially covered up as that can help reduce their fear a little. Try not to handle them but kisses if they are close enough is good :)
Once they get more curious in their cage and approach readily you can initiate play seasons by gently reaching over the top of them,grasp their shoulders give a little shake, and use a high pitched happy voice. They may seem confused at first but if they start to bounce you are well on your way to hand wrestling sessions with happy babies.

I tried down the shirt with them tucked in so they didn’t just hop out like in a hoodie pouch and it seems not too bad... when they saw they could get out the top they escaped (I didn’t want to stop them and make them feel trapped), but they didn’t look distressed in there - more just a little nervous. As I’m typing this buster the shyest one has just jumped onto my legs ... he’s off again now... but it’s huge for me that he did that!p

YAY! It's the little things that sometimes make such a difference to us, then they are like "what you so happy for?" LMAO keep going. Progress is progress. Regardless of how little or big it may be. Soon, you won't be able to get them to leave you alone! Haha!

As everyone said, they will relax and get to know you as a friend. All the rats I have had over the years have been SPCA rescues. The two males I have right now where seized by the RCMP and SPCA. They found 94 of them in cages that had never been cleaned and very little to eat. The one little male was not in good shape, he hid in the cage for few weeks, then started coming out. Now his favorite place to relax is on my keyboard, which makes it tough to do things. Once they relax some, their personality's will come, each one seems to have different personality just like people do, just give them time.
That’s despicable. Makes me so so sad....

So happy I could cry. Frank was snoozing and let me stroke his cheek. Buster was pretty anxious beside him but he didn’t run away and I didn’t try to touch him. I’m so pleased. I don’t know what happened today but like you all said, something kinda clicked with one of them! Really appreciate all the support

Attachments

• 0105E5D8-23D7-4BD9-A46F-55E51DE71A44.jpeg
    0105E5D8-23D7-4BD9-A46F-55E51DE71A44.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 151
Great progress! We took in two adult males from a rat rescue lady who needed to find them a home, and judging by their behavior, they were not treated well. It's been 6 months now and they are the friendliest little guys, totally different rats. It's a really rewarding experience watching scared and previously mistreated rats come out of their shell and be happy.

Aaahhhh I'm so happy for you.! I knew they'd come around eventually. Thank you for sticking with them.! It's always worth the wait < 3

They seem to feel most comfortable when I’m busy doing something like typing on my laptop. It’s almost like they don’t feel threatened as I’m not still like a predator and not looking at them. Ann I imagining this or does this sound right. I was trying to studying and all of a sudden I felt like paws go up my arm!! So happyyyy

The little frank allowed me to pick him up! He didn’t seem too bothered - wiggled to get away but wasn’t frantic. Like he was pretty sure I wouldn’t be hurt him but walked off just in case.

They are running over my iPad typing words! Haha “/‘pond. You have” is what Charlie typed! Sorry to bore everyone with daily updates! I’m just so proud of them.

I have them in a smaller cage than they will be in. Breeder just suggested I don’t start them in the huge cage - wait for them to tame a little first. The huge cage is up and ready for them though!

Attachments

• BB8540FD-1DD7-4A7D-A6AB-D8F186282BB0.jpeg
    BB8540FD-1DD7-4A7D-A6AB-D8F186282BB0.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 142
  • A0101105-DB96-485F-810C-DF3FBF65CBA3.jpeg
    A0101105-DB96-485F-810C-DF3FBF65CBA3.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 135
Omg that rat is such a chunk! I love my fat rats (and of course the not so fat rats too)! The fat ones seem the best for hugging. My fat ones will just lay across my chest, and accept my hugs. Haha! When I play on my phone when they are out playing, they will all run up to me, drag my phone away from me, and look at what it is that's so important. As if they even know what they are looking at, but it's too cute none the less.

Omg that rat is such a chunk! I love my fat rats (and of course the not so fat rats too)! The fat ones seem the best for hugging. My fat ones will just lay across my chest, and accept my hugs. Haha! When I play on my phone when they are out playing, they will all run up to me, drag my phone away from me, and look at what it is that's so important. As if they even know what they are looking at, but it's too cute none the less.

He’s only 11weeks old as well! I love big chunkers too ! I really hope they are feeling happier now

Back