I am allergic to my new rats!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! I got four male rats a few weeks ago and recently found out I am pretty allergic to them(more to the dander than the urine). I am really attached to them and really don't want to return them to the breeder. My family does not like the smell of rodents so I can not keep them outside of my room. My dad was thinking about a gas station freezer to keep them in in my closet, but I think that would mess with their respiratory system. My mom wants to fix up the shed in our back yard but I am scared of snakes/insects getting in or the A.C. shutting down. Do you have any idea's or is it best for me to give them up? Thank you!

Is it hives and general itchiness, or is very severe like throat closing? And please be truthful, we love our rats, but if it's a health hazard to you, it would be best to return them.

For me, I have a... medium-level allergy. My eyes get puffy and watery, I sneeze, I get hives, etc. I found that keeping their cage clean and washing my hands after handling helps the best. I also take allergy pills to help.

Please do not put them in a freezer chest! The ammonia would become trapped and cause extreme respiratory distress for the rats. Plus, being locked in a dark, quiet closet for the entirety of my life is not a pleasant idea.

Depending on where your parents are financially, fixing a shed up to be rat appropriate could be quite costly. It would need to be insulated, with an AC unit, and it would need to be ventilated so that ammonia does not gather and cause illness for the rats. On top of this, the shed would need to be professionally closed off so animals do not get in. However, my biggest issue with them being in a shed away from everyone else is the lack of socialization and you wouldn't be able to monitor them. You don't know if it gets too hot or cold for them.

Is it hives and general itchiness, or is very severe like throat closing? And please be truthful, we love our rats, but if it's a health hazard to you, it would be best to return them.

For me, I have a... medium-level allergy. My eyes get puffy and watery, I sneeze, I get hives, etc. I found that keeping their cage clean and washing my hands after handling helps the best. I also take allergy pills to help.

Please do not put them in a freezer chest! The ammonia would become trapped and cause extreme respiratory distress for the rats. Plus, being locked in a dark, quiet closet for the entirety of my life is not a pleasant idea.

Depending on where your parents are financially, fixing a shed up to be rat appropriate could be quite costly. It would need to be insulated, with an AC unit, and it would need to be ventilated so that ammonia does not gather and cause illness for the rats. On top of this, the shed would need to be professionally closed off so animals do not get in. However, my biggest issue with them being in a shed away from everyone else is the lack of socialization and you wouldn't be able to monitor them. You don't know if it gets too hot or cold for them.

Thank you so much for answering so quickly. Hives, headaches, sinus. Nothing life threatening but definitely painful. I am also getting sores on my face. Its not super extreme but my family is concerned. I have been taking allergy pills and i wear gloves when i handle them, but nothing seems to work. I was for sure not planning on putting them in the freezer. I am homeschooled so if the wifi works out there i will probably spend a few hours in the shed with them while doing school work. I am also very concerned about the A.C shutting down, but i wake up pretty early and i will be able to regurly check it every few hours through out the day.

Rats need to live in a large cage.
They need to be in a well used room in the house so they get a lot of social interaction - and should not be kept in a shed unless it is fixed up and you plan to live out there with them.
They can not live in a closet and certainly not in a freezer.
Air circulation is essential to their health, and as mentioned above, ammonia will build up and destroy their lungs.
Rats also need to be around you and interact with you for several reasons including so you will notice any small changes that could indicate that they are ill.

When rats are in a room with a great deal of air circulation, such as an open living room then the smell etc is much less then when they are shut in a room. I found a huge difference between living in an apartment where they lived in the living room and renting a room where there are confined to an enclosed room.

An air purifier with a permanent hepa filter and a replaceable carbon filter (not an ionizer) will help, but is an enclosed room I don't know if it will be enough. Make sure you buy one large enough to handle the room it is in.
If they are to stay in your bedroom, not only will you need an air purifier but an air exchanger for air circulation would help if you do not already have one.

It would likely help if the cage was cleaned daily with bedding and hammocks being replaced - but not too thoroughly as if too clear then they will urine mark even more.

How old are the boys? From what you wrote I assume they are young babies.
If so, I am surprised that you are reacting this strongly to them.

Is it possible that you are allergic to the bedding that is being used?
Many people are allergic to the bedding and not to their pets.

Unneutered boys have 100 time the amount of allergen in their urine then boys who are neutered so if you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely neuter rats then you might consider doing that. Only gas anesthetic is given and nothing is injected until they are given metacam after the surgery is over. Most vets do not know how to neuter rats safely. If a vet does not have the necessary knowledge and experience then there is a good chance the rats will die during or after surgery. https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/why-spay-or-neuter-rats.35402/
I have been getting my rats spayed and neutered for the last 15.5 years.

Long sleeves, washing hands, keeping the cage clean, etc are all things that can help. As well as having the boys neutered. Jorats can likely tell you how she dealt with rat allergies for many years.

From what you wrote, I don't think you should be sleeping in the same room as your rattie boys.

What are you symptoms? I was allergic to my rats but I was able to control my symptoms with an allergy pill. An air purifier will help a great deal and also neutering the boys as well.

Back