I’m concerned about my friends breeding practices.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pancaketate

I have a friend that’s a rat breeder, but the last time I heard anything about selling a rat was in 2018, where in an 8 month period she sold 5. It seems like blatant hoarding to me. But what i’m worried about is how she keeps them (15-20 rats in these small bins, with no enrichment) and her “culling” practices. To her, culling means simply to kill. From what i’ve seen, it’s to remove from a breeding program. She doesn’t find homes for these rats. She kills them all. Any rat that bites, flinches, or looks “ugly” is killed by gas chamber (pictured) or neck snapping. The ones that live spend their whole lives in these bins. She lives in maine and it’s legal to kill your pets there. I’ve been in contact with animal welfare but there isn’t much we can do because she just won’t open the door for them. She has other animals that are neglected and abused as well. I just don’t know what to do. If anyone has anything that I can use to try and reason with her that would be great. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 1CDDB7C9-778F-40AC-B1BB-FFA176F29273.jpeg
    1CDDB7C9-778F-40AC-B1BB-FFA176F29273.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 8C4C9063-D1AE-4E9C-A8CF-245695CC7698.jpeg
    8C4C9063-D1AE-4E9C-A8CF-245695CC7698.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 91
This may sound bad, but I would report this to multiple social media pages and get people to shine a light on this situation, even if it means reporting it to the police and seeing where they stand on it. maybe even try PETA? sticky situation but it’s worth a shot

Back