Hydrotherapy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littledevils

Took my foster dog Pickles to her first Hydrotherapy session today!

I'm lucky to have a pool just one block away.

It was the first time Pickles was in water so today it was mostly about getting her used to the water, the floating and teaching her how to swim. Making sure she's relaxed and happy and not panicky.

She did really well! A bit scared and nervous for sure but there were also many moments where she was completely relaxed and swam like a pro!

We're going back again on Sunday. And then again on Wednesday. After that she should be comfortable in the water to really start therapy.

I did that with Chance (rat) after he had his first stroke - and his second, and his third. It wasn't so much about hydrotherapy for him as it was cleaning him off after he managed to coat himself in Ensure - but I found he actually really enjoyed floating in the water (completely supported by my hands, of course), kicking his feet every so often. I would tickle his feet too, and move his legs very gently. He was never completely paralyzed, but I think the act of helping him to move helped him learn new ways to groom himself. For a while after the stroke it was absolutely impossible for him to groom - it took too much coordination, and certain positions were ones he could no longer attain. But after a couple of weeks (with the daily baths), he was able to sit up very very tall (normally grooming rats are kind of a low-to-the-ground ball) and could groom his belly and his head. I think at least some of that was due to the water sessions.

Other species (incl us humans!) most definitely profit from hydrotherapy! The warm water is very relaxing, it can promote blood flow to muscles which helps the healing process... and it's a low impact form of exercise.

In Pickles' case w have to build up muscle and since she still needs one more surgery, key is that it's all very low impact exercise so that she doesn't make the injury even worse or plain and simply to make sure she doesn't have any pain. She's ok on walks up to 2 km now but can't push her further than that as it really affects the side that still needs the surgery. And we can't do that surgery until she's healed from the first one.

Back