Human aggression or playing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kek

I have a four-five month old boy who, while playing with my hand will sidle and kick. If I tickle his haunches or side he'll keep pushing. I can push him onto his back and he'll kick and play like he usually does. In either case, he popcorns around and licks my hand.
He isn't puffed up or angry looking and I've had him since he was weeks old. He gets along with another male rat well though he's overbearing with his playing and sometimes annoys the other. (a few months older) He's also dominant with him but not in any overt way.

Needless to say in my many years of owning rats, they haven't sidled directly at me. Is this just dominant behavior mixed with playing? Is there any chance of this building to aggression?

I have a four-five month old boy who, while playing with my hand will sidle and kick. If I tickle his haunches or side he'll keep pushing. I can push him onto his back and he'll kick and play like he usually does. In either case, he popcorns around and licks my hand.
He isn't puffed up or angry looking and I've had him since he was weeks old. He gets along with another male rat well though he's overbearing with his playing and sometimes annoys the other. (a few months older) He's also dominant with him but not in any overt way.

Needless to say in my many years of owning rats, they haven't sidled directly at me. Is this just dominant behavior mixed with playing? Is there any chance of this building to aggression?

It sounds like sweet playing to me. As long as he’s not trying to bite you I don’t think this is something to worry about.

Don't worry unless it becomes an issue with you or other ratties. They're all so different, and current behaviour is not necessarily indicative of future behaviour.

Thank you guys! He got a bit more rough for a while, scent marked a lot more and provoked the other boy but suddenly calmed down pretty well and back to being a sweety who is only a little bit 'too much'.
Still a good boy!

My boy Vishnu does that with me. For a while he had a "crush" on me but it has since subsided. I think it is a hormonal issue . It will pass. Although, you are likely to see him do it again when his hormones are peaking .

He's playing but much more manly then baby now. Just be aware that the switch could go off and he could turn hormonal. Try reaching over his head, grab his shoulders and give a little shake and say "wheeee!" in A high pitched voice. He should start bouncing in place then towards you. If you're lucky he'll run away then come back for more :). This is unmistakeable playing for him, and not involving the rump area where another male might attack them, setting him off.

Back