How to win the parent debate

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Livy

Hey guys! I’m 16 , and yes I still live with my parents. The reason I mentioned my age is because I’m going to be discussing tips that I used that turned my parents from thinking of rats as wild nasty animals to ready to drive me to the local pet store to get some rats!

Tip #1 Research
This is an obvious one but it’s a huge part of winning the battle. Your parents are already going to have their perception of rats and it’s up to you to change it. Plus it’s going to help you find out if rats are really the pet for you. I originally did all this research on rabbits because I thought that was the small animal I wanted until I started comparing other small animals and realized I wanted rats.

Tip #2 Divide and conquer
You've done your research. You're armed with weaponry for the upcoming battle. The problem is, it probably isn't enough. You can't go up against a force of two! Everyone knows a two on one fight is never fair. Besides you only need one parents (ideally) support to get the ball rolling. The solution: Find alone time with one of your parents. Wait till your eating lunch with your dad or catch you mom while she's doing the laundry. DON'T try to have this discussion while their watching TV, driving or aren't in the best mood (even if it isn't because of you) The ideal way to start this battle is with a parent who is in a good mood and able to give you their attention. Now that you know when, now its time for who. Which parent is more likely to be open to to this idea? If you're a daddy's girl, mamma's boy, or vice versa then use it! Remember, as long as you can at least reach through the one parent the battle is already in your favor.

(for those who have a single parent who's not on your side, try getting an adult your parent respect on your side instead.

Tip #3 Talk about the bad thing
Alot of rat owners will tell you there are no cons to owning rats EXCEPT for one. Rats typically only live for 2-3 years. Now don't get me wrong it is sad that they have such short lifespans but for the sake of this battle, it's a good thing! Here's the thing nine times out of ten, your parents won't want anything to do with your rats. Which means their probably thinking along the lines of "Well what about when he/she goes to college? I don't want to be stuck taking caring of it." Hearing that the rats aren't gonna live that long should sigh of relief for them. No lie, when I told my mom they only live for a couple of years she said "Oh good, they leave when you do."

Tip #4 Persistence
Don't be annoying but at the same time let your parents know that this isn't just some 'phase'. You are serious about having these pets. You might even have to promise your own budget towards your rats( food, cage supplies, vet bills, ect) or promise things like better grades, cleaner rooms, behavior improvement. (Mine was cleaner room.)
Be extra. One of the main reasons my parents switched the mindset was because I gave them a whole presentation. I spent two days on a slide presentation, purchased a red laser, and even dressed up.
If the battle angle isn't doing it for you then think of it as a business meeting. You're trying to get a company who remotely interested in your idea to not only think about it, but support you in ways of transportation and any papers that may be involved (in case you have to be over 18 to sign them) You need to come up with facts, information and any experience you might have

Tip #5 Start small and be patient
This will likely not be an overnight thing. It can take some time to convince even one, let alone two parents to allow you to get rats. If I'm being honest you could use all these tips and even more and your parents could still say No. If that happens DON'T throw a tantrum or catch a attitude because honestly you're not making things any better for your cause. Go back to the battle plans, store them away for later and start on new ones.
Maybe draw up ones for something even smaller, with a better reputation than rats. A fish. Yes, this is as far from rats as you can get. Think of it like this, your parents are more likely to say yes to something like a fish vs a rat. If you don't want to go that route, volunteer at your local adoption or rat rescue. If your old enough consider working at a pet shop. Anything to prove to your parents that you are responsible and you know what you are doing.

At the end of the day (and I don't mean to sound cruel) it's their house not yours. Some parents will absolutely not budge and you just have to respect that maybe they don't want rats in their home. I know that if that is the ending result its going to be hard to accept. (Like the time I realized I will never be allowed to paint my walls glow-in-the-dark-pink) However you can comfort yourself with the fact that you're gonna be out the house in a few years anyways( this thread is mostly aimed at teenagers as young kids should not own small animals) and thus have as many rats as you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Livy, and welcome to the forum. You sound like a very brigh and resourceful young lady! Im proud of you for doing the research and even allowing the facts to change your mind. I'm really glad your parents surrendered to you; you deserve to have rats as pets. I believe you'll love them and take proper care of them. I saw your question about finding rats and I understand completely. I'll answer when I have a little time.

Good job on your advice to other teens!

Hi Livy, welcome to the forum

one thing you might want to add,
It is essential that you come up with a reasonable plan as to how and whom will cover the very expensive medical care - vets, medicines, surgery, etc , that the rats will require. This needs to be agreed upon with parents and they will appreciate that you have given this consideration and that you plan to assume some of the responsibility/

You should also know that this is a rat rescue forum that promotes the adoption of rats from shelters, rt rescues, and rats being rehomed …… we do not support the purchased of rats from stores or from breeders
so imo it would be appreciated if you would change any references to buying rats from pet stores since you are writing a guide for others.

There is also a link to things to consider when getting rats that your readers might find helpful: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-rat-things-to-consider.32306/

Hi Livy, welcome to the forum

one thing you might want to add,
It is essential that you come up with a reasonable plan as to how and whom will cover the very expensive medical care - vets, medicines, surgery, etc , that the rats will require. This needs to be agreed upon with parents and they will appreciate that you have given this consideration and that you plan to assume some of the responsibility/

You should also know that this is a rat rescue forum that promotes the adoption of rats from shelters, rt rescues, and rats being rehomed …… we do not support the purchased of rats from stores or from breeders
so imo it would be appreciated if you would change any references to buying rats from pet stores since you are writing a guide for others.

There is also a link to things to consider when getting rats that your readers might find helpful: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-rat-things-to-consider.32306/

Thanks, I realize now I left things out like the experiences you mentioned earlier before. The reason is I didn't put in into any of the tips is because I didn't have to worry about it. I know how my parents are. Particularly, my dad, I know he doesn't mind putting money into something as long as he knows he's not wasting it. When I got ready to find a suitable budget with them, all my dad said was "Look, just do what you're supposed to do (getting good grades, being respectful to elders and keeping up with my other responsibilities) and I won't mind financing your rats and whatever they may need." That's why there's a lack of budget talk in mine, because I spent more time proving my dad would be right to finance my rats.

Also in reference to the pet store concern, which I think you are referring to the last sentence of the first paragraph? This was simply my parents reaction to my presentation and I'd figure I'd share the end result, since I was going to write about this topic

personally I do not think you need to include pet store since you are writing advice to others on a rat rescue forum where we do not support people buying animals from pet stores … and I am surprised that I feel like I have to state that a second time

Back