How to switch foods

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherton

I’ve never had to change food before but my local stores are all discontinuing Oxbow rats foods so I’m having to swap (unless another Oxbow small pet food is a better equivalent? As my girls love it).

I’ve changed kibbles with other pets in the past, but as rats are dexterous I’m caution that they will simply grab the food they want and sort, no matter how I mix it. The only other way I can think to introduce the new food is hand feeding them pieces and alternating the brands, but I honestly don’t have the time/work schedule to do that.

How do other people do it or do you just offer both and let them sort? What if a few rats happily take to the new food but one doesn’t and I run out of the old before she’s accustomed to it?

You gradually lower the amount of the block they are used to and increase the amount of the new block
But I suggest you order oxbow online or get our store to order it in for you in bulk.

There are only 3 types of blocks that are good for rats.
For good information on what to feed rats as well as the forbidden foods list, please see our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

You gradually lower the amount of the block they are used to and increase the amount of the new block
But I suggest you order oxbow online or get our store to order it in for you in bulk.

There are only 3 types of blocks that are good for rats.
For good information on what to feed rats as well as the forbidden foods list, please see our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only
As I explained, I’m aware of how to switch, I’m just worried as they can be such efficient food sorters, so if they prefer the new food they’ll eat it all first and then only the old food when more hungry, or vice versa.

Ordering isn’t an option where I am. The new food has same ingredients but likely different portions (ex. +2% protein, +1% fibre), so while I’m not worried it will cause any major issues if they decide to ‘binge’ one food, I’d like to avoid it as much as possible.

Suppose it’s unavoidable with such efficient little sorters.

Back