How to fill a dig box?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrausen

Hi all, I'm in the process of making a dig box but am wondering what are some options to fill it with? I'd prefer something easier to keep clean like shredded paper but what other ideas are there? Thanks!

Shredded paper could work, but it's not as good to dig through. I recommend coco coir, which does get dirty, but it's worth it as it's apparently a lot of fun for rats to dig through! LOL

I use soil in a fish tank. I suggest you be picky when deciding on a soil, as you'll want one that holds form, allowing them to dig burrows underground. If the soil is too loose, they'll never be able to maintain a hole to hide in.

I have tried coco soil (untreated completely safe) but do try and keep it slightly damp. Otherwise it will becomes very dusty and can cause ear infections or other illnesses. I have also tried cardboard snippets and things like that but they did not like digging in that all that much. I love this video from Emiology:

Back