how to care for a older rat.....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lisa

We have a colony of a total of 11 rats...8 girls and 3 boys. Our girls are in a double critter nation and our boys are in a smaller feisty ferret cage. We plan on introducing them as soon as our second CN arrives to give our babies more room. 7 of our girls are from the same litter and are about 8 months old...our boys are 4 months old. They are ALL fixed!!! Our matriarch of the group, Pachirisu, just turned 3 this month and she is declining in both health and mobility. She tries SOO hard, but she just doesn't have the strength or grip anymore to climb walls (even the ramps are getting dangerous for her, we are so scared of her falling off!) She tries to climb on everything and is so wobbly..we have replaced everything we can cage wise to give her more security and even added ledges so she wouldn't have to climb so much. She still insists on trying to climb to the second level and scuffle with the baby girls and act like she did a year ago...but her body just isn't in it.

Tonight I was forced to put her in a single cage by herself because she fell off the ledge trying to climb after the little girls. Tomorrow, I am going to purchase a cage that is one level for her so that she wont hurt herself when she DOES climb. My question, should I take a few of the calmer babies out of the CN to put in with her for company or should I leave her by herself? She's never been alone before. She came with a sister that died of respiratory issues at 4 months and then we adopted a pair of sisters for her that were the same age. When she was the last rat we adopted the 7 babies and introduced them. They have been in the same cage for 6.5 months now. Should I leave her in the single cage but bring her out with her sisters at playtime? Or introduce her to the boys (who are very calm and laid back compared to our wild girls!)

We just had her into the vet and she said that she's a healthy, but old rat. She is eating and drinking fine (when her sisters aren't stealing her food!) She still has sass and attitude and she's still a sweet loving little girl...she's just getting old and feeling her age! (aren't we all?) How can I help her stay comfortable and alert and involved but still be SAFE about it at the same time??? any ideas would be MOST helpful! THANK YOU!!!

When my oldies get old, I just make the cage more old rat friendly but I don't remove them from the cage. I also put down puppy pads to absorb any urine from leaky bladders.

Back