How to break the “Rat cycle” without being negligent?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayra

Two of my three boys died, being the most recent one from the same litter than the last baby. They were pretty close to each other and I feel like Fergunson misses him so much, and he’s clearly sad.
He’s about two years old, and it’s still a healthy old boo. I love him so much, but I want to break the rat cycle. At the same time, I feel bad for leaving him by himself, since all he does now it’s eat and hang by the hammock. He doesn’t even wants to go outside and walk around the apartment anymore.

Does anybody already have to deal with a similar situation? Should I give him away to someone with other rats? Should I keep him close, and try to give him more attention than usual?
I feel like it would hurt me deeply to give him away, and I honestly don’t know if i’d be able to. However, I can’t help but thinking that I’m being a terrible person for leaving him alone.

Opinions?
— Unfortunately, getting a new rat even a senior is not an option that I’d love to go through. I’ve lost two rats this year, and decided that I’m not emotionally able to keep pets with such a short lifespan. —

Thank you.

I'm in the exact same situation though my girl is a little younger, I honestly have her with me almost 24/7, I had to force her out of the cage at first but now she's doing remarkably well ! I say (as bad as it sounds) force interactions with him so he doesn't spiral into a deeper depression.

I'm in the exact same situation though my girl is a little younger, I honestly have her with me almost 24/7, I had to force her out of the cage at first but now she's doing remarkably well ! I say (as bad as it sounds) force interactions with him so he doesn't spiral into a deeper depression.
Yep! I’ve been literally closing the door and leaving him to have access only to the spaces I am. I know he loves me, cuz hes been also more needy of some cuddles, but he just doesn’t seem to want be around anymore

Back