How old is a rat in human years?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamwarrior

found this and thought it was intresting
http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatYears.htm
How old is a rat in human years?

Childhood and puberty

Compared to humans, rats have a brief, accelerated childhood. Rats develop rapidly during infancy and become sexually mature at about 6 weeks of age. Humans, on the other hand, develop slowly and don't hit puberty until about age 12-13 years (range: 8 to 16 years).

Adolescence and adulthood

Rats become sexually mature at age 6 weeks, but reach social maturity several months later at about 5 to 6 months of age (Adams and Boice 1983). In adulthood, each rat month is roughly equivalent to 2.5 human years (Ruth 1935).

Female rats enter menopause between ages 15 and 18 months (Durbin 1966), while humans enter menopause between 48 and 55 years (eMedicine).

Life expectancy

Domestic rats live about 2 to 3.5 years (Pass and Freeth 1993). In a survey of pet rat lifespans in the UK, the average lifespan was 21.6 months, and 95% percent had died by age 3 years (Clark 2004). In contrast, wild rats living in the wild tend to live for less than one year: 95% of wild rats die before age 1 year (Davis 1948).

The worldwide human life expectancy of humans is 66.7 years, but life expectancy varies a great deal between different countries. Human lifespan tends to correlate with economic development: people in the top 55 most developed nations have an average lifespan of 77.1 years, while people in the 33 least developed countries have an average lifespan of 49.4 years. In 2003, Japan had the highest life expectancy of 81.3 years, while Zambia had the lowest of 33.4 years (HD reports).

The rat's age in human years

Rat's age in months | Rat's age in years | Rat's age in human years
1.5 months (puberty) | 0.125 years | 12.5 years (puberty)
6 months (social maturity) | 0.5 years | 18 years (social maturity)
12 months | 1 year | 30 years
18 months | 1.5 years | 45 years
24 months | 2 years | 60 years
30 months | 2.5 years | 75 years
36 months | 3 years | 90 years
42 months | 3.5 years | 105 years
45 months | 3.75 years | 113 years
48 months | 4 years | 120 years

you know what's interesting? males don't start to produce buck grease until they are about 5 months old on average, which is getting pretty dang close to rat social maturity. the hardest part of being a human teen also seems to be around 15/16 or so. it seems to be when teenagers start to be the most rebellious and some things i've read and experienced would indicate that this is when the hormones start to really have a pull on a kid's mental state. it would be interesting to see what other correlations ageing would have with our closest genetic relative, the chimpanzee. i don't know, maybe its just me, but i've just had a HUH! moment...

twitch said:
you know what's interesting? males don't start to produce buck grease until they are about 5 months old on average, which is getting pretty dang close to rat social maturity. the hardest part of being a human teen also seems to be around 15/16 or so. it seems to be when teenagers start to be the most rebellious and some things i've read and experienced would indicate that this is when the hormones start to really have a pull on a kid's mental state. it would be interesting to see what other correlations ageing would have with our closest genetic relative, the chimpanzee. i don't know, maybe its just me, but i've just had a HUH! moment...

I agree, although rats are sexually mature at a very young age, they only become hormonally mature at about 3 to 5 months old.
This is why it really bothers me when people breed their males at that age, they are barely old enough to know what they want, they are pretty much in their mid teens at this point. Same goes for the girls.

I asked this question a million times when I first started to rescue. My vet told me to keep it simple.
10 human days = 1 rat year therefore for each month that goes by your rattie turns 3.
Average life span for rodents (excluding mice) is 2. 365 days divided by 10 =36.5 years x 2 = 73.
A 2 year old rat is the same as a 73 year old man.
Lets look at this again, Joanne stated they are hormonally mature between 3 and 5 months. I agree
3 to 5 rat months would equal 9 to 15 human years. That is when most girls start their period.
Does this make it simple for anyone?

I am so happy i ran across this! I was lying in bed for like an hour and a half wondering about this , the funny thing is , i decided on 1 yr human= 30 yr rat , then fell asleep , i was right!!! YES!! :happydance:

Thank you for posting this!!

Maple305 said:
I asked this question a million times when I first started to rescue. My vet told me to keep it simple.
10 human days = 1 rat year therefore for each month that goes by your rattie turns 3.
Average life span for rodents (excluding mice) is 2. 365 days divided by 10 =36.5 years x 2 = 73.
A 2 year old rat is the same as a 73 year old man.
Lets look at this again, Joanne stated they are hormonally mature between 3 and 5 months. I agree
3 to 5 rat months would equal 9 to 15 human years. That is when most girls start their period.
Does this make it simple for anyone?

That makes a lot of sense. :thumbup:
My rat that lived to 43 months... would make him pretty darn old. lol

That makes a lot of sense. :thumbup:
My rat that lived to 43 months... would make him pretty darn old. lol[/quote]

OMG....lucky you....43 months...If my calculations are correct, he was 129 years old. And I thought I was lucky at 35 months. :heart:

Wow that is interesting......Hubby always looks at me kinda of sad when I talk about all the things I am going to do for my rat babies....in 3 years, 4 years and 5 years. But I am going to hope they all live to be very, very old......

Back