How old can rats be to introduce them to each other?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach777

I have two rats that were going to be feeder rats, they are probably 4-5 weeks old and unfortunately the guy I got them from gave me one male and one female. Right now I have them in separate cages next to each other but I know rats should be kept in pairs, I was waiting to get the male neutered to put them back in a cage together but I’m worried about how they’d get along if I do that. Is keeping the cages next to each other enough or should I look to get two more young rats (one male and one female) and keep it that way with the males and females in their respective cages. Is it too late to introduce them to different rats? Or would that be the best course of action? Thank you for any help!

I don’t think your female and male would have a problem getting along after the male is neutered, and it’s certainly not too late to get two babies for each gender. There is no age limit to introductions. So, it’s really whatever you want to do- but, I wouldn’t just have the cages nearby. That won’t really give them the social interaction they need. They would be able to see each other, but they couldn’t cuddle or play or do other important rat things. :)

I don’t think your female and male would have a problem getting along after the male is neutered, and it’s certainly not too late to get two babies for each gender. There is no age limit to introductions. So, it’s really whatever you want to do- but, I wouldn’t just have the cages nearby. That won’t really give them the social interaction they need. They would be able to see each other, but they couldn’t cuddle or play or do other important rat things. :)
thank you! Would you suggest letting them have playtime together? Every night when I take them out of their cages? I just need to avoid having babies hahah, I think the male is starting to go through puberty

Unless the male is neutered, I would advise against letting them interact to be safe... Rats can breed crazy fast, even when you're watching them closely! And an oops litter is definitely a whole other level of craziness, lol! Just try to spend lots of time with them individually to prevent them from getting bored or lonely until they can enjoy each other’s company or some new ratties! Best wishes :)

thank you! Would you suggest letting them have playtime together? Every night when I take them out of their cages? I just need to avoid having babies hahah, I think the male is starting to go through puberty
Get that male neutered asap. Then you'll be able to have a lovely pair of rats. I wish the best for you. Are you a new rat parent?

Congrats on your new ratties ..... if they are under 5 weeks old you might want to supplement their diet of blocks, and a variety of daily vegs with organic (or nonGMO) soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal as they are a bit young. I hope you post lots of pics

If you have access to a good vet with the knowledge and experience to safely neuter or spay rats, then please have them fixed. Only gas is used until after the surgery is over when an injection of Metacam is given for pain.
If you have a good vet with the ability to operate on pet rats safely, then neutering can be done at a younger age then spays, however, in my experience, vets want rats to be a certain weight/age before giving them anesthetic to be on the safe side. After a neuter, the boy is kept separated from intact girls for 2 weeks - some do 3 to 4 weeks to be sure) so that all sperm is dead.
Do not allow intact rats over 5 weeks old and of opposite sexes to spend time together as pregnancy can happen very fast

It is important to spay girls, if at all possible, for health reasons.
In terms of intros, if all rats are babies (under 12 weeks old) they can be put together as babies see other babies as playmates. If any rats are over 12 weeks old, then gradual intros need to be carefully done as the rats will see new rats as potential threats. If introing a baby to an older rattie, the baby needs to be at least 8 weeks old (10 weeks is safer)

For reasons to spay/neuter please see: Why Spay or Neuter Rats?
For info on introducing rats as well as other important info please see our Reference Thread REFERENCE Thread - Read Only

Last edited:
Get that male neutered asap. Then you'll be able to have a lovely pair of rats. I wish the best for you. Are you a new rat parent?

I used to have rats before I moved out of my parents this is my first time having them since, how old should they be before I get them fixed?

Back