How much food?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
javakittie said:
I've fed my girls cooked brussel sprouts with absolutely no issue.

Not even a little bit of gas?!? :lol: Sorry, Kat. I couldn't resist, I guess I'm just in a silly mood this morning. Must be the stress of being at home with the kids during March Break! Thank God, it's Friday and the end is almost in sight!

Haha! My girl Lil farts in my face often enough, I probably wouldn't have noticed it! She's just got the sqooshiest kissable belly!

javakittie said:
Haha! My girl Lil farts in my face often enough, I probably wouldn't have noticed it! She's just got the sqooshiest kissable belly!

:lol: Maybe you're accidentally squishing it outta her 'cause you're kissing her too hard!

Oh, but she lubs it so much! She tosses her head like a little pony, and I swear I can see her giggling and grinning.

javakittie said:
Oh, but she lubs it so much! She tosses her head like a little pony, and I swear I can see her giggling and grinning.

Then I would say that a tiny bit of rattie flatulence in the face is a small price to pay!

Hi there, if I just might join in and get back to Debbie D's mix, I was wondering about the oysters that she calls for. Are they the smoked oysters in a can, that is all I have ever seen. (maybe I must look harder/better)(don't have her book, only online recipe) If they are the smoked variety, I would suggest they are not very healthy, because of the smoking process - nitrate/nitrites? Also, the recipe calls for nutritional yeast flakes??? is that the same as Brewers yeast???? (healthy) I understand how some people only think of molasses as something very sweet, but if you look into blackstrap molasses at the health food store, you will find that it is packed with many vitamins and nutrients, - very healthy for us even. My daughter and I occasionally enjoy it on toast. If anyone can answer, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi G~Ratified:

Clover Leaf has whole pacific oysters packed in water in 130 g cans. I apportionate out approximately one half oyster per rat as they really are quite big, drain the the rest of the can, freeze them on wax paper in a shallow airtight container and defrost when needed. I would have to agree that the smoked variety are definitely not healthy and not what Debbie D intended.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what nutrional yeast flakes are and yes, molasses are definitely not evil! I supplement the hounds with unsulphured blackstrap molasses all the time. They are a very good source of phosphorus!

Let me know how you do with the molasses mix. I've been meaning to make up a batch, just haven't gotten around to shopping for the ingredients yet.

You can get nutritional yeast flakes at the health food store. It's not the same as brewer's yeast. They should know what you're talking about if you ask. It's a common ingredient in vegan recipes too, so it's not too hard to find.

As for the oysters, I don't use the smoked kind. A couple of the grocery stores here only carry the smoked kind, but most of them also have a canned one that just says pieces of oysters or whole oysters - different stores have pieces or whole around here. The brand they carry here is Chicken of the Sea.

Thanks again for the replies. I have given the girls some cooked liver that we had the other night.. Man.. I nearly lost my finger, by our older girl who normally is very gentle. They sure loved it. I don't know if any of them had ever had it before. Our 2 sisters (re-homed 1 mo. ago) were previously fed cat food and granola bars. Anyone else notice that they don't eat the peel of a fresh pear? I thought that was where most of the nutrients of most fruits are?? I too will have to make a trip to the health food store and try out the molasses mix.

Back