How many rats is too many for one mom?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really sure...rats can have like 17 babies at once, it's crazy. Most litters I have seen are about 12. 4 months old is very young for a rat to have babies though, my little 4 month old girl is still super tiny compared to the grown girls, and has so much more growing to do yet. It would definitely be very irresponsible to breed a rat that young. Can I ask why you are asking?

my newest little rescue mom was just a baby on her first heat when she became pregnant. She was probably 9 weeks old at the time of the birth and she handled 8 babies just fine. :)

My 4 monther rescue handled her 13 babies fine, but lost a lot of condition at the end.

Each rat is different some can handle more some are too weak.

Jani had a litter of 18 but only 10 survived. Was it due to sick babies or mom not being able to handle that many, we will never know.

Rats can have up to 26 in a litter.
Depends on the rat but regardless of the litter size it takes a lot out of the mom.

I have heard of rats with very large litters that did well. The rat divided her babies into two groups in the cage and went back and forth between both grouos caring for them and nursing them. Because they were divided like that, all babies were able to get a nipple to nurse from.

Why do you ask?
If a rat has a large litter you do the best you can to give her the support and care she needs in terms of diet etc.

Well, my four monther just had 16 babies.
I didn't plan this, of coarse, it is a long story.
I was just wondering if there was a way I could help her, she seems streesed.
I have her on a proper diet and such.
Separated her from her cage mates.
She keeps leaving her babies everywhere though...
I am kinda worried, but I just keep putting them back.

Yes, five actually.
I was away for a week and my family was looking after them, when I came backeverything seemed fine. Until Kasey started to act wierd then started putting on weight.
So I moved her to her own cage and soon after she had 16 babies.

It's not a good idea to have intact males and females in the same house, accidents are bound to happen. Also, Kasey shouldn't be by herself, she needs a friend. Maybe keep a female from the litter for her.

emerson said:
It's not a good idea to have intact males and females in the same house, accidents are bound to happen. Also, Kasey shouldn't be by herself, she needs a friend. Maybe keep a female from the litter for her.

Do you even know how to read?
I just said she has three cagemates that she will return to when the litter is grown up.
Why even comment if your didn't read what I said in the first place.
Gee, silly!

HOLLLD ON A MINUTE!
Where did you say that she had three cagemates? There is no need to get arsey over this. People give that advice out to ANYBODY, so dont get on your high horse.

fishcitizen said:
Yes, five actually.
I was away for a week and my family was looking after them, when I came backeverything seemed fine. Until Kasey started to act wierd then started putting on weight.

Last edited by fishcitizen on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Did you aquire 3 intact males in the... two hours it took you to edit that post? It originally said two...

You know what? I am sorry I posted the Q in the first place.
I didn't ask for all this uneeded advice that has nothing to do with the question I asked.
No offense, but you people seem to jump the gun a bit.
Very assumptive you are.

ryelle said:
HOLLLD ON A MINUTE!
Where did you say that she had three cagemates? There is no need to get arsey over this. People give that advice out to ANYBODY, so dont get on your high horse.

fishcitizen said:
Yes, five actually.

Last edited by fishcitizen on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Did you aquire 3 intact males in the... two hours it took you to edit that post? It originally said two...

she posted in her other topic that she had cagemates witch her other topic is linked from her to there. she did not state how many but just said other cagemates so if we did read the thread you would have seen she did say she had cagemates :)

in no way do i know this person or anything just wanted to point out she did say what she said.

It is in our nature to help educate... and one way is to always push for keeping only one sex in the home because accidents can happen as you are well aware of.
Also, we've had an unpleasant experience with viasindios... who in turn became very childish and posted a very inappropriate video on a pet rat forum. We also have cause to believe that you may very well be or know this person... you are most certainly from the same area.

We will try and give you the benefit of the doubt...

I had a feeling the other thread would have been mentioned, but it wasnt mentioned on this one, and keeping track of two different posts all at once is just confusing and hard work. And there really wasnt any need for the rude reply to Emerson

Back