How long to wait to introduce after loss?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Ratturtles

I had two rats. Last night one of them passed away in their sleep. I knew she was nearing the end of her life as she had been terminally ill for a long time and was becoming lethargic and losing weight rapidly. I was unsure of when she would go but she passed away sometime last night. Me and her sister are grieving.

Yesterday afternoon before she passed, I went to pick up a new rat that I had adopted from the shelter. I had been watching all month for a rat to go up for adoption so that when my ill girl finally passed her sister wouldn't be all alone.

I guess my question is how long do I wait to introduce the two of them? The rat whose sister just passed does seem to be in high spirits despite the loss. I'm just not sure how I'll know when she's ready. I don't want to rush things but I also don't want her to be lonely.

( I know a quarantine is generally recommended when bringing a new rat home but I dont have the means to do one. That's part of the reason I adopted, I wanted to make sure the rat I brought home was properly vetted and healthy. As much as some of you might think I'm taking a risk, right now the adopted rats cage and my girls cage are right next to each other, they can see each other and they know each other is there. )

Personally, I start intros right away. I have found it to help the grieving rat. But you can see if your rat is ready or not, if you see to much stress, back off a bit and try again a few days later.

Back