how long for hormones to drop

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix.madley

Since Remy was neutered on the 5 March. I tried re-introductions today. He is as aggressive as ever, despite the other rat's dismissive behaviour. Maybe i should try again in April

Some can take a month or so. If they were really hormonal, it may take longer, than say, if it was just minor hormones.

I've had aggressive rats take 1-3 months to settle. Start with some fabric that smells like the other rat to see if he reacts badly to it.
His neauter was around 5 March...I tried introductions 2 weeks ago and he is stil being a butt head to my older rat. He toppled the igloo my other rat was in. The older rat ran away and the bully rat followed.There was rat ball fight.i had to separate them. The bully rat is the one insighting it all. They live in a savic royal so they are separated but can smell each other

His neauter was around 5 March...I tried introductions 2 weeks ago and he is stil being a butt head to my older rat. He toppled the igloo my other rat was in. The older rat ran away and the bully rat followed.There was rat ball fight.i had to separate them. The bully rat is the one insighting it all. They live in a savic royal so they are separated but can smell each other. It has to have been hormones as he was never that way before.

Also, make sure when you do intros, you are doing them in a NEUTRAL area. Like the tub. I usually take all hiding places out of the area, and just have the rats in there. That way they have nowhere to run and claim as a safe spot, or to claim as territory. I can also see them and grab them quickly. If that fails, switch fleece between cages, and before you EVER put unfamiliar rats in a cage together, make sure it's clean and neutral smelling for them. I like to change it up, and move houses around, so it's completely new to all of the rats. But only put them in the cage after a few times of playing and getting along in the neutral zone. 😁

I would wait awhile. It usually seems to take around a month but and as Lilspaz68 said it can take several months. As Lilspaz68 suggested, I would start with fabric in a neutral area ... in a few weeks.
BTW, there is info on intros in our Reference Thread and at joinrats.com

Tried introductions in a neutral zone...going well..a lot of chasing each other but not as serious as before..some siding behavior from the neautered male. But not as bad as before. We are on a month now and one week since the neuter

Back