How long before rats adjust

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William kong

So I just built a super large habitat for my three rats from a dresser. They are 5 month, 10 weeks, and 7 weeks old. In there old cage, which is very small they were active. It's only been one day but all they've done so far is sleep. The youngest has gone down all the ramps and seems to like to nest in my boot in the very bottom floor but the other two older ones seem sort of afraid to go down the ramps. I'm hoping they'll go down the ramp and explore the other four floors at some point. Also planning on getting another 5 month old rat from PetSmart at the end of this month as this cage is pretty big for three. I know when rats are in exploritory mode they raise their tails off the ground as they walk around and they've done that all day. But how long do you think it'll be before they adjust to the new environment and explore all the levels. The baby seems happy but the two older ones look pretty depressed lol. And I'm worried that the Dont like their new home. Here's a pic of the habitat I built. https://imgur.com/a/Nfph7Mu
FYI imgur says it may be an erotic image. Don't know why but it's just my cage.

So I just built a super large habitat for my three rats from a dresser. They are 5 month, 10 weeks, and 7 weeks old. In there old cage, which is very small they were active. It's only been one day but all they've done so far is sleep. The youngest has gone down all the ramps and seems to like to nest in my boot in the very bottom floor but the other two older ones seem sort of afraid to go down the ramps. I'm hoping they'll go down the ramp and explore the other four floors at some point. Also planning on getting another 5 month old rat from PetSmart at the end of this month as this cage is pretty big for three. I know when rats are in exploritory mode they raise their tails off the ground as they walk around and they've done that all day. But how long do you think it'll be before they adjust to the new environment and explore all the levels. The baby seems happy but the two older ones look pretty depressed lol. And I'm worried that the Dont like their new home. Here's a pic of the habitat I built. https://imgur.com/a/Nfph7Mu
FYI imgur says it may be an erotic image. Don't know why but it's just my cage.
Hello.! You can try putting the old cage in the bottom of the new one so they have something familiar. Or you can scatter treats all over so they have to explore and find the treats.! That way they would associate the cage with good from the very beginning.! As for the new one you are getting.. May I suggest finding a local rescue or shelter instead of a pet shop.? All my ratties are from pet shops and were all sick.. (two almost passed and one I got put down) they are often sold as feeders so they don't get the proper care they need and are often sick..

I got my first one from a reptile store. He was a feeder rat and unfortunately developed some mild respritory problems. He cost me so much money Q.Q
I got my second from a breeder and the third from PetSmart. The PetSmart ones been healthy and I haven't had any issues with him so far. I have two babies and one older one so I'd like to get another one the same age. The fourth rat I'll be getting at the end of the month is actually my one older rats old roommate from PetSmart. That's the main reason I'm getting him. I figured he misses his roommate because I know rats bond and the lady said they've been living together at PetSmart for a few months. And I tried looking for a 4-6 month old from a breeder but everyone's only selling babies.

Some rats really don't like change, give them more time and be sure to put some yummy treats in the other part of their home to entice them.

Back