How do I prevent mites?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyRatLady

Hello! Desperate rat momma here, who is dreading doing yet another deep clean of her boy’s cage.
I have two boys. I just noticed some very small scabs on the shoulders of one of them- his name is Max. The other rat has no scabs. Max is not sick. He is 1 and 1/2.
I have dealt with mites before- twice, in fact. Two times where I’ve done an entire deep clean of their cage and the surrounding area. The first time, we treated them with Revolution. The second time with Ivirmectin.
its been about 2 months since their last dosage of Ivirmectin, and they have looked great since. But the scabs are back again! It’s very frustrating, because whatever the cause, it seems to be coming back again and again.
I freeze their bedding for 48+ hours each change. I do not freeze their food though. Should I try that? How do I prevent these from coming back again?
Thank you :)

Revolution is the best for mites. One dose, NO crazy cleaning needed. Ivermectin should be given weekly for 3 weeks. The difference here is ivermectin only kills hatched adults, not the other 2 stages and so basically your rats have to get reinfested each time before you dose again...hence the crazy cleans.

Back