How do i get my rats to use the chew toys?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattieperson7

I have 15 different chew toys scattered through my rats cage but none of them have chewed on any of them and there teeth are starting to get overgrown. The chew toys have been in the cage for almost a month what could I do to get them to chew on them?

Soak in tuna juice maybe. Or, give them chew toys they like. A soft wood stick vis my rats favorite. But their all time fav chew toy is the eCotrition Snak Shak Large... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JD6G1XY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
People say it's bad for rats cuz it's meant for rabbits, but my rats digest it just fine, I have checked their poops and it passes through their system with no problems. And they will gnaw on it all day. I break it up with a hammer and wedge pieces in the bars for them.

Do not get the eco snack shack! They are bad for them, since they have honey in them and that encourages the rats to swallow it, instead of spitting it out (like they do with plastic and wood). This can cause blockages, and if not treated, can kill the rat. I'd go for Apple sticks, or wood chews made for birds and hamsters. Mine love a little cheese chew (it looks like a slice of cheese). They also will chew their fleece, and hanging Kabob toys.

Ok let's get to the.main part of your post. You are saying their teeth are overgrowing? Just so you know chewing isn't 2gat grinds their teeth down, they do it themselves by bruxxing. Chewing can help a little but it's not necessary. Chewing IS good mental health stimulation though, but some rats will chew and others won't.
As for the teeth, just look at the top and bottom incisors to see if they are straight across. If they are they are aligned and are perfectly normal. Where you end up with tooth troubles (malocclusion) is when the top incisors don't align up properly with their opposing bottom incisors and the teeth wear crookedly.

Back