How did you decide to have rats as pets?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

Rattie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
How did you decide to have rats as pets? Were you young and just really liked them, or did you get them after becoming an adult? Did you know that they are intelligent? Did you know that they have shorter life spans compared to other pets? Please tell me.

deerfae

When I was a teenager one of my close online friends got into rats and later began breeding them. They were always sending me rat pictures and telling me about them and I just absolutely fell in love. I knew I wanted pet rats more than almost anything. Unfortunately at the time I just simply was not able to get another pet. But fast forward several years and I was finally able to get some rats to call my own 🥰

mwahl0

When my mom said I was aloud to get a pet, I chose rats randomly. I didn’t plan to get them until later, but there was 2 babies with a cage being given away for free at my local pet store. On a whim, I got them. I knew nothing about rats or what they were like previously. I did a lot of research that night, and now I have four happy rats!!

Blaze

How did you decide to have rats as pets? Were you young and just really liked them, or did you get them after becoming an adult? Did you know that they are intelligent? Did you know that they have shorter life spans compared to other pets? Please tell me.
I always had hamsters when I was younger, and then around about 6th grade I started taking care of mice. They’re honestly one of the sweetest, female mice are my second favorite pets. But at the mom-and-pop pet store near me had a rat who had been returned multiple times because he hated other rats and would even hiss whenever he saw/smelled them. Since I was going to be a new rat owner I figured to start with an only child would be good, and after about three times visiting him in that store I bought him and it was probably the best decision my mom let me make. That was when I was about 15, and I’ve had a rat in my life ever since.

Starfish5

I met a woman who had service rats. She has some kind of degenerative bone/muscle disease and gets spasms that can and do break her bones. Her rats would go on duty on her shoulder and tell her with a tickle to the cheek if she was going to spasm so she could take care of it. She also said they're like puppies and make great companions, so I was intrigued. Finally got mine several years later.

Latest posts