Homemade cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dryice

Hey there! So I am a soon to be a first time rat owner, and I was looking for some feedback on the habitat I made. I have read some places that bins are not preferred due to lack of ventilation, so I have tried to alleviate that issue with metal mesh and holes. They are quite large bins, Both are over 100 qt, and are thick and sturdy. (Hand for scale) I have a connecting ladder/bridge in the works, and I'm thinking of getting a small fan to help with airflow. It will be for two rats. I still have a bit of work to do, but what do you think? Any suggestions?
IMG_20190228_135427.jpg
IMG_20190228_135500.jpg

It looks like you have done a great deal of hard work, cutting plastic like that isn't easy

The top bin does not have enough air flow
and since the wire is on the outside, the rats will be able to easily chew the plastic
and they look too small ….. but would make good carriers

Rats need a base of at least 30 in by 18 in
those bins also look like they would be difficult to hang hammocks, tubes, space pods etc in

Bin cages are not great for rats and can be difficult to keep clean
Please see the ideas in the Reference Thread as you may find the posts helpful

Hmmmmm...not to knock them, you were pretty creative, but they really won't last long. Rats are chewers, and they can turn a tiny hole in plastic into a large enough opening to get out of in no time! They need lots of things to climb on, and play on, so you'll need to attach lots of stuff to the sides, top, etc. For instance, hammocks, ladders, toys, water bottles, baskets..... Also, as for the fan, I personally wouldn't use one, since the air blowing on them may not be a good idea. Rats can get respiratory infections super easy. Also, I see you're from Texas. It gets super hot, and humid down here, and I'd be afraid they could overheat in plastic bins. We made cages out of the wire shelves like you'd put in a laundry room. Just cut them to the size we wanted, and zip tied them together. We even used the smaller ones to make small levels. We put one on top, and made it a flip top. Then set it in a long tote that was made for under bed storage. As our group got larger, we added more on. Then you can go to the dollar store, and get baskets, and zip tie them to the sides. You'll just need to put coroplast on the shelves, or cardboard and cover it with fleece. As for bedding, I use a crumpled recycled paper.

You could also use them in their play area. Put some waded up paper in the bottom, and scatter treats, so they have to dig in it, and cut a couple extra holes in the top one and put fleece blanket, or fleece scraps in it to make a comfy place for them to lay. I just wouldn't trash them. Also, you could use them to house in on cleaning day. Just don't leave them in for a long time. Throw some toys in them, and extra bedding, and use them for extra stuff until they chew holes in them and can't be securely held in them anymore.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I agree the top could use a bit more ventilation, I can solve that easily enough. Would putting the wire on the inside prevent chewing? I didn't do it that way at first because I thought they might get pinched or poked by the edge but it wouldn't be too hard to swap it around. The bin is ~35 by 20 and I have lots of toys and houses and stuff already and some more on the way. I was planning to use up the rest of my 99.9 dust free bedding but have read about fleece and may switch over. Heat shouldn't be an issue, A/C will solve that and I only opened the curtains for some light for the pictures. I have definitely heard of rats legendary chewing abilities, but would the fact that I had to use an angle grinder to cut this stuff mean that it might be thick enough? If it comes down to it I am fine with spending the money to get a quality cage, I was just really hoping to get some more use out of these bins and save a bit of money.

They are really creative, and I'm sure the rats will very much enjoy playing in them. It's just a better option to get or make a large barred cage. It's better for ventilation (pee can get stinky quick in walled cages), heat and cooling regulation, make your rats more visible (let's just say, you're gonna want to easily peep in on them and give a quick pet from time to time), make YOU more visible to THEM (they also like to watch us too. And they need to see where we are, so they can beg for a treat in the right direction)..... The plastic may be tough, and needed to be grinded, but rats are EXCELLENT chewers and will make quick work of the bins, trust me! Also, if you put the wire on the inside, I'd worry they may cut themselves, trying to be adventurous, and trying to find a way past it. They are geniuses about finding ways out of a cage! Ask anyone on here how often they had a cage they thought was secure, only to find a sneaky rat running in a total different room, or some place they shouldn't be! LOL :D

Haha alright, well thanks for the advice! I have been looking at the critter nation cage that everyone seems to love, might end up getting that. Do you think a few days in the bins would be alright? Just in case I can't find it in store and need to order it. Thing is I have time to go to the shelter tomorrow but it's a bit far and won't be able to make it back for awhile.

I think for a couple of days, it may be ok, but I'd really keep a close eye on them! Also, if I were you, I'd just go ahead and order it on Amazon, or chewy.com you can even bundle it with oxbow essentials (it's the best). ;)

I really REALLY want to upgrade to a critter nation! It's the Cadillac of cages!

Actually already have some oxbow on the way from chewy, I used that brand for my hammies :) if I can't find it at the store I'll get it from one of those two. Thanks again for the help!

Back