Home Remedy For Treating Fleas & Mites (URGENT)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claira2000

Hi, I'm new... quickly signed up cannot get a hold of my vet, nor do I have the supplies needed right at this time!

I run a rat rescue in Australia, I normally have supplies on hand but I wasn't going to take on another rat as I am completely full but I got a call about one girl tonight & was conned in to taking her on by one of my volunteers! I noticed she was very lethargic ,underweight & unwell so I straight away put her on Zithromax as a pre-caution & wormed her, gave some vitamin drops & a lot of warm bedding.

Earlier she had a faint smell to her fur so I thought nothing of it but decided to bathe her, upon bathing her mites & fleas have bounced out & are now covering all her body! I normally have Revolution (Kitten) on stand-by but my friend took my last vile last night after also rescuing a rat herself! My vet is about four hours away as I am secluded in the country & he is the closest vet that specializes in regards to treating rats so I make normally a trip once a week with sick rats if needed & to get some supplies. I was due to go tomorrow afternoon but after looking at her she doesn't look to well, I am secluded, no vets nearby my vet is the closest & no supply shops! I looked through my medical box & I only have Frontline (that is a no no) & Activyl (Small Dogs), Have looked online as I am fairly new to activyl but can't find anything online with dosage to rats so guessing that is a no go as well!

Anymore ideas or home remedies to at least get some of her? They are sucking the life out of her!

I have also tried calling my vet but late here so he is asleep & will not answer until 9am when he opens his practice.

UPDATE: Just ordered a six pack of revolution kitten, Only problem is it will not get delivered until 3PM tomorrow (nearly 12AM here now). So worried & feel so bad for not being able to do anything, I looked for a comb earlier hoping I could comb some out & kill them with meth but no comb! Go figures, When I actually need the stuff it's not here!!! Cannot believe original owners let her get to this point in the first place :(

Last edited:
You could try a regular bath for now and I would definitely wait for the Revolution if its coming soon.

If she's got moving buggies that is lice not mites, as mites are invisible to naked eye. Poor lass. Is she pale and cool as well? this could be anemia from the lice.

Olive oil bath as previously mentioned
It is used to try to keep numbers down and smother buggies until babies are old enough for revolution

Back