Home made temporary cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Here are some pictures of a home made bin cage I made.
It is too small for an adult rat but is good as a temporarily cage for young ratties or quarantine.
As you can see, I can't cut a straight line ....

Edit: If I were to do this again, I would not put a grid in both long sides

IMG_2099.jpg

One end:
IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

Other end:

outsideendview01476X636.jpg

outsideendview02476X636.jpg

Finished cage:
yopviewfinishedcage476X636.jpg

Changed the side panels as the small grids got too dirty. Used cookie cooking racks as the side, end and top wire.

Normally all grids would be on the inside of the cage to prevent or limit chewing of the plastic, however, this grid is so heavy I decided to place it on the outside.

Jan2008Homemadecage1.jpg

Babies peeking out:

letmeout.jpg

Thought I would post a few pictures as (imo) I improved the shelf in my temporary bin cage.

bincagewithnewshelf.jpg

bincagetheotherend.jpg

The shelf is covered with a dollar store dish drain tray cut to fit and attached with zip ties

bincagetopviewfinishedshelf.jpg

EDIT: Small bin cages also make great carriers …. see picture in post below

Last edited:
great idea! I'm going to have to make one for the boys for any future vet visits. I have a tiny hamster cage that I used to transport back-and-forth and it was fine for Zoey, and for Rose and Guild, but for four, they're stepping on each other, etc. I'll make one of those soon :3

And don't feel bad, I'm an artist and I can't cut a straight line. I can draw straight lines perfectly til the cows come home, but when it comes to cutting, holy crap am I made of suck.

Great job!
That's a great idea for an emergency rescue or for quarantine.
I'll probably be visiting this thread again when I need to make one.

That was very resourceful! I'm impressed that you even got a wheel in there!

A few years ago when I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 rats I was putting them in anything I can get my hands on, I even used milk crates and tied wire racks from the fridge on top and wound wire around the holes they have for handles. Poor little ratties! It's one of the reasons I don't look at ads on Kijiji & Craigslist - I really can't go back to those days again!

Yes, this cage holds quite a bit - a 12 inch silent spinner, water bottle, food dish, hammock, small snap together Inn, litter box, chew toy, and of course the nest box on the shelf. Still has room for them to bounce around.

It is 27 in by 15 in and 18 in high.
edit: Much less expensive than buying a cage.

I have a smaller home made bin carrier that I used for trips to the vet if only a few are going.

Woa, the new McGyver award goes to... drum roll... SQ!

That looks great, wheel and all. I love the pics of the ratties in it.
It will make a great quarantine and temporary cage indeed.

That is a really great job. It would be an awesome cage for recovering rats as well, nice and warm looking.
I loved that you got the wheel in there too, bless cable ties.

I made a very simple, cheap one with things from around the house as a temporary one. I'll post pictures, soon.

I love bin carriers! I made one awhile ago when I was first bringing my boys home. It makes for a lovely travel cage, quarantine, place to sequester during cage cleaning, etc. A big plastic bin and two cookie cooling racks from Walmart can go a long way. Pretty sure it was the Rat Shack that showed me how to make one!

1150156-10203027275471298-1747355594-n.jpg

995591-10203027278071363-222865839-n.jpg

279868d3-db63-426b-b9e7-d199ebc2ccd5-zps370c280e.jpg

I love bin carriers! I made one awhile ago when I was first bringing my boys home. It makes for a lovely travel cage, quarantine, place to sequester during cage cleaning, etc. A big plastic bin and two cookie cooling racks from Walmart can go a long way. Pretty sure it was the Rat Shack that showed me how to make one!

Could be ...... I made these bin cages/carriers and started this post in 2008 :)

Last edited:
so glad I stumbled across this post, I want to foster a pregnant rat at some point and would like to make one of these

I didn't want to have to deal with wire mesh, I Love the cookie cooling racks, what a great idea!! thanks for sharing this SQ

Here are some pictures of a home made bin cage I made.
It is too small for an adult rat but is good as a temporarily cage for young ratties or quarantine.
As you can see, I can't cut a straight line ....
IMG_2099.jpg

One end:
IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

Other end:

outsideendview01476X636.jpg

outsideendview02476X636.jpg

Finished cage:
yopviewfinishedcage476X636.jpg

Changed the side panels as the small grids got too dirty. Used cookie cooking racks as the side, end and top wire.
Jan2008Homemadecage1.jpg

Babies peeking out:

letmeout.jpg

Thought I would post a few pictures as (imo) I improved the shelf in my temporary bin cage.

bincagewithnewshelf.jpg

bincagetheotherend.jpg

bincagewithnewshelf.jpg

bincagetheotherend.jpg

I will take a couple more pictures to add tomorrow .... perhaps I can convince a couple of baby girls to pose ....
I love this idea SQ

Back