Holiday Chew

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nataly

Hi, I was looking on the pet smart website and I saw they have holiday themed chews for small pets but I can’t find the ingredients anywhere. It’s supposed to be rat safe but we all know that’s not always the case. I was wondering if anyone on here knows what ingredients it might have. I called the number on the packaging but the customer support person couldn’t find the information either.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...oliday-candy-cane-small-pet-chew-5289940.html

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...ay-christmas-tree-small-pet-chew-5289941.html

Then I'd air on the side of not purchasing of them and instead opt for bird toys, especially since the rep couldn't even find the info. I find, for whatever reason, they add a lot of unnecessary flavors and treats to small pet chew toys as to entice rats to chew on them. Personally, I don't like that as there is always the chance that my rats will then think this yummy chew is actually food. I don't think they're that dumb, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

And if you really would like to spice your rats cage up with holiday themes, just get some paper and dye it red or green with food coloring. Then they can at least chew on it.

It looks really cute but I probably wouldn't buy something that I don't know the ingredients. Rawhide is not good for any animal and I'd be worried that they are using that.

:( although rats will hopefully grind bones to dust and not swallow them, this is really not a good idea imo

Rats do not need to chew things (bruxing keeps their teeth short), but they do enjoy it so:
- cardboard boxes with a hole in 2 sides and one in the top and filled with crumpled paper makes a good toy that they can chew, modify, pee on etc
- tubes designed to be chewed by small animals are good - can be put in the cage or attached to the side of the cage with 2 zip ties
- wood chew toys designed for birds are also good
- wood chews/sticks designed for small rodents

Last edited:
I've been giving mine bones for 20 yrs without a problem. Keep in mind that while SQ is very rat-experienced, she's also vegetarian. Do your research & make your choices.

Hey, I want your guys’ opinion on this thing I’m trying.

I washed out an old pill bottle, drilled a hole on the side and put veggies and kibble inside for him to get out. It looks like this.
1EFA0FC8-8A20-454C-A785-4B6A5EAA3BA3.jpeg
And after one day
7BED69EB-7B93-4686-9A46-DAEB7D393D1A.jpeg
and yesterday
324E5224-1BDA-4361-8E6E-971FAAC53BE5.jpeg
CAD506A6-1684-4514-8839-2328928F6A3A.jpeg

I wouldn't do that. Plastic is not good for rats. You can find a treat ball at the pet store and place treats inside and let them push it around to get them.

Back